Corn Syrup Solids?

chefjames12

Corn Syrup Solids?

Post by chefjames12 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 20:24

My recipe for dry cured pepperoni calls for corn syrup solids and i'm out. does any one know if there is anything i can use as a substitute? :?:
Chef James Kerr
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Nov 08, 2014 21:50

If it is a recipe that also includes Dextrose (like the one in Great Sausage Recipes) just substitute sucrose (table sugar)

Hope that helped

Bob
chefjames12

Post by chefjames12 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 23:04

thanks bob k that helps
Chef James Kerr
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 09, 2014 02:23

Should sucrose and dextrose be interchanged gram for gram ?
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 09, 2014 08:40

Ross, dextrose is only 70% as sweet as cane or beet sugar (sucrose). So they are not interchangeable. They also work differently in that dextrose is a single molecule sugar and acts a lot faster. In fermented sausages, bacteria will work faster in lowering pH if fed dextrose. If a person who is in a low blood sugar(glucose) is given dextrose it will enter their blood system faster than if they are given sucrose. In sausage, dextrose will also not burn as fast as sucrose.

But, having said that, they might be interchangeable if you adjust the amount, and are only using the product to add sweetness.
Last edited by redzed on Tue Nov 25, 2014 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 14:41

If you have Dextrose use that or you can use Clear Karo syrup.

SWEETENERS: Sugars are use to add flavor and to cover or mask salt. Sugars will cause browning when the product is pan fried or grilled. There are different forms of sugar. The most common is cane sugar. Cane is what we normally call table sugar. It can be used in meat brines but is not widely used in sausage because it has a tendency to burn or scorch. Brown sugar is used in most brines but sometimes used in meat because of its flavor.

DEXTROSE - 70% as sweet as cane sugar and quite a bit heavier. Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counter salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives us the desired tang of flavor. The most common sugar used in meat is dextrose. Dextrose is corn sugar and it will not burn as easily as cane or beet sugar. When a recipe calls for cane sugar you can replace it with dextrose by adding 20% more dextrose than cane sugar due to the sweetness factor between cane sugar and dextrose.

CORN SYRUP / CORN SYRUP SOLIDS - Only about 40-50% as sweet as cane sugar. will help to hold water and color in meat, bind the meat when curing sausage at low temperatures, aid the fermentation process when semi-dry or dry curing. Add no more than 2% of the green weight of the meat.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 09, 2014 17:35

Thanks Devo! Thanks for that and it's great to hear from you again. I use corn syrup solids for it's apparent capability of colour retention in salami but don't really know why it functions better in this respect than dextrose.

Welcome back to the forum!
snakeoil
Beginner
Beginner

corn syrup solids

Post by snakeoil » Sat Nov 22, 2014 17:15

Where is the best place to buy corn syrup solids
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 00:24

Corn syrup solids are sold in Brew shops everywhere,
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 23, 2014 08:48

Most of the sausage supply houses carry corn syrup solids. Start with the Sausagemaker. How are you planning to use this ingredient?
http://www.sausagemaker.com/search.aspx?find=CORN+SYRUP
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Nov 23, 2014 09:40

What is corn syrup and why use it. Is it a sugar?
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:47

Hi there all of you Happy Home Sausage Makers! :grin:

Cris gave a kind kick in side to wake me out of my slumber and get reactivtated at wedlinidomowe to share some technical advice whenever some questions pops up.

So, when it somes to the amusingly clumsy product designation CORN SYROP SOLIDS I first of all wonder why you just don´t use the world wide common word for it:

MALTODEXTRIN

...hmmm, perhaps because the mere word "Maltodextrin" just looks slightly more chemical :???:
Whereas the word combination of "Corn´n Syrup´n Solids" has an all-natural ring to it as if it was some homemade stuff cooked together in ol´Chuckwagons ramshackle barn amidst hens, kettle, pigs AND a duck! :mrgreen: But (speaking for myself) I´ll stick to the far more practical word "Maltodextrin" which I have used for the last 25 odd years.
I find this "Solid-Corn-Syrups" wordplay just a bit too clumsy.

At a webpage I found this description: http://www.grainprocessing.com/food/mal ... olids.html
where the producing company GPC has registered their own Maltodextrin brand as "Maltrin" (...even less letters :wink: ).

The point about Maltodextrin is, as you can see in this description is, that it has a so called "Dextrose Equivalence (DE) from 5 to 25" meaning that it will contain somewhere from 5% to 25% of the amount of fermentable sugar compared to standard Dextrose.

So if you plan to use this stuff, which makes good sense as a supplement to the Dextrose (which I think should always be the primary source of fermentable sugar for the starter culture!) just make totally sure in which range of the Dextrose Equivalence scale the Maltodextrin is which you intend to buy.

My experience is that the common DE of Maltodextrin often is around 10 meaning that in theory you should add 30 gr. Maltodextrin to reach a level that equals 3 gr. Dextrose.
I have yet to encounter a Maltodextrin with a DE of 25 - sounds intriguing though :shock:

Now I must admit that I have never made a real-life test of swopping a. e. the usual 3 grams of dextrose with 30 grams of maltodextrin. Costs being the main reason (maltodextrin usually being more expensive than dextrose) but also my doubt if it would lead to an unnecessary prolongation of the lag phase has prevented me from carrying out this experiment.

This said there is much that speaks for the extra addition of a certain amount of Maltodextrin, as the rumor goes that it "rounds off" the acidity, giving some more mellow taste notes as the lactic acid bacteria should metabolize it more slowly... (don´t take MY word for it - It´s what I´ve heard others whisper in the corners :cool: ) but my shot from the hip advice would be to use the standard 3 gr Dextrose pr. kg raw material to make sure that pH drops below 5,3 when employing a slow (traditional) starter culture and add to this some 5 to 10 grams Maltodextrin pr. kg. - providing that you find some in the "harmless" 10% DE range.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
chefjames12

Post by chefjames12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 20:57

i just waited tell my corn syrup solids came in. but thanks everyone.[img]http://[/img]
Chef James Kerr
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 00:12

Hi Chef James,

I am more than just a bit curious to hear if the declaration of your corn syrop solids states anything about its DE (Dextrose Equivalence) so you would know how it compares to Dextrose in terms of sweetness. One reason why I find this interesting is because Devo in his posting from the 9th November writes:
"CORN SYRUP / CORN SYRUP SOLIDS - Only about 40-50% as sweet as cane sugar"
While I don´t know if this may be a norm with US producers of Corn Syrop Solids it certainly is a good deal sweeter than what what I have previously regarded as common for Maltodextrin (-just another word for the same thing). So if it´s really up there then be careful with the dosage level.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
chefjames12

Post by chefjames12 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 00:35

i waited for my corn syrup solids to arrive so i could make as i usually do, instead of being inpatient and trying a substitute.
Chef James Kerr