My rubberier breakfast sausage

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sat Nov 29, 2014 18:19

Here is the contact information for Carlson Butcher Supply in San Francisco CA. The have two dynamite breakfast sausage mixes. I think one is called Farm Style ( no red pepper) and the other is Southern Style( and yes you guessed it! Red Pepper!) Very yummy. It's the only one that I purchase. I mix all my other sausage seasoning mixes. For one reason or another I can seem to nail down a breakfast recipe that is as good as this one from Carl's. The other breakfast sausage that is great is the Iowa Farm Sausage that is in Bruce Aidells Sausage making cookbook. I make the Iowa Farm Sausage once a year at Christmas.

50 Mendell St # 12
San Francisco, CA 94124
Phone: (415) 648-2601
V465
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dumoine » Sun Nov 30, 2014 21:56

I had the problem of rubbery sausage once and it was because of the pork I used. I bought some Hormel brand boneless pork butt at Walmart. I noticed on the package that it contained a proprietary brine solution. This brine solution in the meat distorted the taste of the seasonings I added and the texture of the meat when ground was rubbery. I have learned to use only pork that have not been "enhanced" in anyway.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 05:34

Dumoine that is a good point. Definately a reason to read the ingredients in any of the crayovac products. Some contain phosphates or "protein". The protein is actually vegetable protein that is pumped into the meat to increase profit.