Increasing the "heat" in a Jalapeno Sausage

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Increasing the "heat" in a Jalapeno Sausage

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Dec 05, 2014 20:01

Hello all,
I have recently made a few variations of a venison jalapeno sausage, and although I am very happy with the results the heat level is just not where I want it. We are not "HOT" food eaters by no means but do enjoy a little heat. For 5 lbs of meat we added 9 diced and ran though grinder jalapeno's which we doubt to be the perfect amount for "visual distribution". The jalapeno's were deveined and seeded, also for the "visual" appearance of the sausage. My question, I would like to increase the heat level of these sausages and I'm not sure increasing the amount of fresh jalapeno's would be the right way to go about it. I've considered adding cayenne pepper but feel that may take away from the "jalapeno" aspect of the sausage. I also make my own jalapeno powder (with seeds and veins), considered adding this to the mix but was worried the jalapeno flavor may be over powering? But on the other hand, maybe not?

Your thoughts?
Thanks again!
DiggingDogFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Increasing the "heat" in a Jalapeno Sausage

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Dec 05, 2014 20:44

STICKSTRING wrote:Hello all,
I also make my own jalapeno powder (with seeds and veins), considered adding this to the mix but was worried the jalapeno flavor may be over powering? But on the other hand, maybe not?

Your thoughts?
There's only one way to find out.
Adding seeds and placenta will up the heat.

~Martin
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 22:54

Yes I would have to say you threw away all the hot stuff :razz:
Most of us love the jalapeño (and other beautiful peppers) because of the little "kick" we get when we take a bite of one. Sure, as far as taste is concerned, jalapeños are delicious, but that blast of spiciness that bursts in your mouth and ravishes your tongue is a powerfully added bonus, making hot peppers among the greatest flavors in the world.

That spiciness we all love and crave comes from a compound called capsaicin that is found in all hot peppers. Interestingly enough, capsaicin is found in no other plant than the chile pepper. A single drop of this substance combined with 100,000 parts water is still noticeably spicy. Isn`t that great!

Capsaicin itself is tasteless and odorless and is produced by the glands in the chile pepper`s placenta, found at the top portion of the pepper below the stem.

Note: The placenta is about sixteen times hotter than the rest of the pepper and is usually removed along with the seeds (another hot part of the pepper) when preparing food. If you`re looking for a good kick with your dishes, leave it in (along with the seeds), and see what you get. Oh yeah!

Scientists have observed that many rodents and other small mammals do not particularly like the jalapeño, possibly an evolutionary advantage developed through the generations to protect the peppers from evildoers. Birds, however, seem to be unaffected by the pepper heat. This, of course, is an advantage to our friend, the chile, because when birds eat the peppers, they disperse the seeds through their droppings all across the land, thus perpetuating that thing we all love so much (though admittedly in a rather gross manner).
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 05, 2014 23:40

There are many wonderful medium hot pepper varieties with a range of flavors. They are worth studying and finding. http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/e ... redirect=1
Ross- tightwad home cook
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Fri Dec 12, 2014 17:36

i USE HABENEROS alot, they dont add much for flavor, but ups the heat a bit, I have used Jalos and am happy with the flavor, but not much heat when used in sausagae, I use a 1/4 lb habeneros to 10 lbs meat, and gives it a perfect burn, without the flavor, so if you add the jalos for flavor and the Habs for heat, I think you will be happy,Tim
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Sat Dec 13, 2014 05:45

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help and input. I will keep you all updated on how it turns out using different methods of obtaining "heat"