Hot Bath Only Sausage?

AApedro

Hot Bath Only Sausage?

Post by AApedro » Fri Jan 09, 2015 06:17

Hello. I just purchased the meat grinder and sausage stuffing attachment for the kitchenaid mixer, and am excited to start making my own homemade sausages.

Living now in Korea, space is limited, so a smoker is unavailable to me. I was thinking of using some liquid smoke for flavour, and a hot water bath to make my sausages.

Any tips/advice?

Thank you in advance.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Fri Jan 09, 2015 06:54

I am sure the more experienced sausage makers will chime in shortly as well.
For fresh sausages, you don't really need a water bath. You can make them and keep in the fridge for a couple of days, or freeze them.
When you want to eat them, you can poach them, grill them, use them in soups or fry them.

I havent used liquid smoke, but it doesnt change anything to the preparation.

Where in Korea are you and what is it like living there?
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 17:20

AApedro wlcome to the best home made sausage community on the internet. We have a bunch of meatheads here who are always ready and willing to to give beginners a hand. We were all there at one time! You most certainly can make a variety of fine sausages that are not smoked. Liquid smoke is an option and is now used widely by commercial sausage makers. And there are many many sausages that can be made and poached that don't require it. If you click on the large banner above with meatsandsausages.com you will find detailed instructions on making a miles of juicy links as well as more recipes than you could ever make.

Let us know what types of sausages you like and we might be able to make some recommendations. I make a nice ham style sausage using very coarsely ground pork leg, with Cure #1, and only salt, pepper and garlic. I stuff it into 60 or 75mm collagen casings and poach it. It is quite simple but tastes wonderful.

Here is one suggestion:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... ow-sausage