Trying to Identify Krakow Sausage

zooski

Trying to Identify Krakow Sausage

Post by zooski » Wed Aug 19, 2015 16:13

This may be a long shot, but I'm half way through Stan's book and very excited to begin my adventure.

Back in 2008 I spent a few months studying in Krakow and had one particularly memorable sausage at the Christmas market in the Rynek. I'm posting pictures I've found on the internet that resemble in my mind what/where I ate it, but I'm wondering if anyone can identify what they typically serve at these spots. Is it usually a simple Kielbasa Wedzona?

Thanks!
Tim

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 16:31

Hey zooski welcome to the forum! And this is the right place to be if you want to find out anything about Polish sausages! If there is anything that we can't answer here we will get help from our friends on the Polish forum, with over 30,000 members it is the largest community of of home made sausage makers in the world.

Yeah the Rynek in Krakow is a great place! The last time I was there a pierogi festival was the main attraction. It was a lot of fun.

The sausage in your pic is most likely what you guessed, Kiełbasa polska wędzona, cured and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, marjoram and sometimes a pinch of nutmeg and all spice. No soy, milk or other so called fillers and binders. Stan's book will have the recipe and you can also take a look here. Once you are ready to make this great sausage we will be here to help you. Don't be afraid to ask!
zooski

Post by zooski » Thu Aug 20, 2015 15:04

Awesome, thank you so much for your help. I'll be sure to check back in when I'm ready to take a stab at it.

I had a fantastic time in Krakow. I only hope my attempt comes out to be half as good as the pros in the Rynek.