Cotto Salami with Turkey and Pork

redzed

Cotto Salami with Turkey and Pork

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 07, 2015 20:35

Yes, another way to utilize turkey meat in sausage making! With the American Thanksgiving coming up there are plenty of turkey specials out there, so if you have the time and patience to bone out one or two, you will have some great and healthy meat to make sausage. I boned out a 20 pounder a few days ago and got 12.5 lbs of meat out of it. The bigger the turkey the higher yield of meat. I prepared a few packs of ground turkey for burgers and meat loaves and made some excellent tasting turkey and pork salami with the rest. I made it by adding 50% pork from the lower shoulder (picnic cut). The salame is mild, soft and finely textured and excellent in a sandwich or snacking with a cracker and cheese. My brother-in-law loved it! The ingredients are based on a cooked salami made by a mid sized sausage plant in Western Canada. Their products are found in most supermarkets and Costco.

Recipe for 1kg of meat

Meat from whole turkey, no skin 500g
Pork, no more than 20% fat 500g
Salt, 16g
Cure #1
White pepper, finely ground, 2g
Black pepper, coarsely ground or cracked, 3g
Paprika, .5g
Coriander, .8
Caraway, .5
White mustard seeds, 3g
Garlic powder, .5g
S. erythorbate, .5g

Grind meat and pork through 4.5mm plate add all ingredients and mix well. Add water only if necessary since the turkey meat usually contains a substantial amount. Stuff into 60mm collagen casings (I used the summer sausage casings from The Sausagemaker). Leave chubs in fridge over night. The next day bring to room temp, about two hours. Smoke for 3-4 hours at 130-150F (55-65C). Finish by poaching with water temp 170F (77C). Since this sausage contains poultry we need to take it up 165F (74C). Cool gently with water.

Last edited by redzed on Sat Nov 21, 2015 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Nov 08, 2015 00:52

That looks really good.