Soy bean

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Soy bean

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 17:41

I've been reading here the value of soy bean concentrate and soy bean isolate. I know it's an old subject but has anything changed concerning the use of either product. Expense was an issue with isolate but it appears to be cheaper than the concentrate now. Any opinions on it's usage? Tom
redzed

Re: Soy bean

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 29, 2015 00:44

Tom wrote:I've been reading here the value of soy bean concentrate and soy bean isolate. I know it's an old subject but has anything changed concerning the use of either product. Expense was an issue with isolate but it appears to be cheaper than the concentrate now. Any opinions on it's usage? Tom
Like nonfat dry milk powder I have used soy bean protein occasionally, albeit sparingly. It can help to retain moisture and help to bind sausage. Commercial processors use it largely as a meat extender, as a way to increase profits. Probably nothing wrong with using it, but in the end there is little benefit for hobbyists in using it. An excellent summary of soy protein applications is here:

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... itives/soy

If you want some serious reading about meat additives send me a PM with your email address and I will email you a 400 page PDF copy of Rodrigo Tarte's Ingredients in Meat Products: Properties, Functionality and Applications
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 29, 2015 03:11

Thanks redzed

I've read the pros and cons of soy usage but again as with the usage of phosphates in my other post soy is listed in many many recipes. These are also non commercial recipes. I'm sure there's an important reason for it's usage. But being new it's much easier for me to follow a recipe than experiment leaving recipe ingredients out. I have read some great information on this site about the differences between the soy products. I plan on using it and was just interested in any new developments about the product such as isolate now being cheaper than concentrate. Tom