Stefans kielbasa

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:12

Adding boiling water is a new one on me. What and why is this done?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 15, 2016 16:25

Stefan thanks for the detailed description about making this sausage. Looks just about perfect to me and I would love to have a taste! Your smoker is doing a great job in smoking the sausage so evenly, something I just can't always get right with my electric model.

And as to Butterbean's question about using hot water, I was also surprised about this practice when I first heard about it. We are always told to use ice cold water so that we don't warm the meat and cause fat smearing and for safety reasons. Well, the theory behind this Polish practice is that it will improve the texture of the sausage and not make it rubbery, but more tender, softer and brittle. When I asked my dad, who learned the craft in Poland, he said that often, rather than water, they also added a hot flavoured bone broth to improve the texture and flavour. Looking at Stefans kielbasa, the hot water addition worked very well.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 15, 2016 17:00

That's interesting. I'll have to give that a try.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Oct 15, 2016 20:08

Butterbean
Posted: Today 6:12    Post subject:

Adding boiling water is a new one on me. What and why is this done?

Partially Chris answered that question, I would like to add one thing - boiling or hot water is destroying/softening collagen structural properties in that case. It is making in other words texture more "fragile". Also amount of hot water used in that process in minimal so we not changed that much protein or fat. During that process collagen in changed in gelatin so during thermal process of finishing kielbasa with careful you will have some very tasty jelly between meat particle or empty spaces. Additional thing about that "fragile" texture is mixing. It is about not letting meat to be sticky like regular kielbasa.
Redzed wrote - When I asked my dad, who learned the craft in Poland, he said that often, rather than water, they also added a hot flavoured bone broth to improve the texture and flavour.
I agree but with one condition that bone broth not contain bone fat (bone marrow has a lot of "bad"fat).
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Dec 23, 2016 04:09

Christmas, and New Year celebrations are coming so it is time to prepare to that Special part of year. Part of that is my preparations - just want to show a part of it. Kielbasa, plus wet cured, smoked, poached "wedzonki", pork loin specially prepared in 3 versions, also beef "basturma" and pork loin prepared in same way.
Kielbasa - Hunters (mysliwska), kielbasa "kabanosowa" ( I have tried to make Kabanas' but lost patients and made it in normal casings), Ham (szynkowa) kielbasa made in 2 1/2" diameter casing (wife request)
Some Wedzonki
Pork loin "lososiowy" - 2 of them over wrap in 1/4" thick layer of back fat, then in beef hung. Cold smoked (24 hours) in 4 days period.
Basturma style beef and pork loin
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 23, 2016 13:47

Awsome! You must have a large crew to feed :!:
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 23, 2016 18:36

Wow Stefan! All prima classe! Beautiful looking work. Your family and friends are lucky to have you!
Wesołych świąt!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 01:57

Bob K wrote:Awsome! You must have a large crew to feed :!:
large crew it is one thing- family, friends - nobody is leaving my house hungry for sure. But using at once is some times not option, so I prefer saving some products for future. Usually some part of kielbasa or "wedzonki" I prepare for storage. Vacpak, quick freeze part of unfinished production (smoked but not finished by poaching or finished in smoker).
When I need a fresh nice kielbasa, just defrosting a package in refrigerator (usually 2 days)
then poach it in traditional way.
It is fresh, tasty like just made polish kielbasa - here "szynkowa" ham kielbasa and "swojska".
martin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by martin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 02:39

Looks good 😊
I have to make some szynkowa , do you cut lean meat with knife or grind with kidney plate?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 28, 2017 04:40

Looks good Stefan! And that is a good idea about freezing and poaching the sausage later. :grin:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Mar 10, 2017 17:30

Hi all. Last weekend I made again some kielbasa. Here are pictures.
Hunters sausage, Wiejska, Krakowska

Also I have made some Polish cold smoked - after 2 days of hanging in 4-6*C room plus 32 hours of cold smoking in temp 10-20*C
inside structure

BTW - i'm having problem with posting pictures by Photobucket - it is time consuming. Is there any other way to post pictures on WD?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Mar 10, 2017 18:08

Those look nice. Great job!

If you use Facebook you can copy the image address of the FB photo then paste it in the box that comes up after you click the Img button and it will post it here.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 23:23

Hi Stefan! As always, another series of fantastic sausages! Image
The Polish cold smoked looks especially good, and it's a sausage that I have never made myself. Gotta do it!

Unfortunately Photobucket is slow and awkward, but I got used to it. Mybe take a look at the Polish hosting site http://www.fotosik.pl/ and see how that works.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sun Mar 12, 2017 21:00

Hi All. Today photobucket is working a little better so I would like to share something very simple but also very popular in center Europe. It is called in Polish - Kotlet schabowy - pan fry pork loin. That recipe is specially dedicated for Butterbean for try.
So i used a slices of fresh center cut pork loin, about 1/2" thick.
l]
during tenderizing I have used plastic Ziplock bag to not making a mess in kitchen

slices are around 1/8 -3/16" thick.

then is time to prepare other ingredients - eggs with salt, black pepper, also i have used homemade dried veggies mix.

Eggs are beaten, some sprinkled salt, black pepper, veggie mix also over slices of meat, then on top of it is used bread crumble (home made also - Italian and French dried bread grinned thru 3 mm plate)
]
Pieces of meat dipped in beaten eggs then in bread crumbles. Then it is fried on frying pan with addition of lard on midium heat until brownish gold on both sides

- two pieces done and one pieces ready to be fried - on picture.
Then is dinner - ready - mash patotoes, pork loin, marinated red pepper, cucumber in brine. It is very tasty, quick and easy to prepare that dish.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 01:09

That looks great. Very much like a schnitzel. I add dress morel mushrooms to the pan and mushroom gravy. Instead of potatoes I make home made spätzle then fry that with speck and red onion.