Fermento vs Encapsulated Citric Acid question

Husker95

Fermento vs Encapsulated Citric Acid question

Post by Husker95 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 03:36

Is there a rule of thumb for when to use fermento or ECA? I am getting ready to make a bunch of venison summer sausage with some friends and am wondering the best method to add a little tanginess. I hear more about fermento but then I noticed ECA - and it is quite a bit cheaper. Thanks guys - I just found this forum and there's a lot of great info here.

Husker95
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 07, 2016 04:35

Welcome to the board Husker.

I've used both but lean toward the fermento for summer sausages because it seems to help bind some water like milk powder. In fact, I have used evaporated buttermilk when I ran out of fermento and though its not the same it was close enough to serve my purpose. I can buy this at Walmart in the hispanic section. Seems we had a discussion on this a while back and it seems there were some reasons to use fermento over this but I can't remember exactly. I can't complain.

I've used ECA primarily with things like capicola. I think its a great product and does give you a good tang but with ground meat its important not to grind it or overmix it in the meat else the pH will drop before the meat has time to properly bind and you'll end up with a crumbly product.

That's about all I know so I'm sure someone else can add to this.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:18

My first choice would be using a bacteria starter like the fast acting Bacoferm LHP. It would give you a nice tang, but without any off flavours or metallic after tastes that encapsulated citric acid and GdL (Glucono-delta Lactone) can sometimes produce. These acidulants do work however, as long as you are careful with adding the right amount. Fermento has to be added in fairly large amounts (in my opinion) to produce a degree of sourness.

Another option would be to use a yoghurt with live probiotic cultures. Add 50ml of yoghurt and 6g sugar to 1kg of meat. Stuff and ferment at 28-30C (80-85F) for 24 hours.

So it's difficult to say which one really works the best since it comes down to personal preference in the resulting flavour. If you are looking for the easiest additive to work with, then ECA would be the one.