Cheese Kubi Burgers

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Cheese Kubi Burgers

Post by fatboyz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 03:34

In response to a request from Red I have started a thread about Kubi burgers. Apparently this is a bit of an Alberta thing. Being a prairie province we have a very large Ukrainian contingent
here from immigrants who came to homestead after the second world war. There are two small towns east of Edmonton, Vegreville and Mundare that are famous (in Canada anyway) notable Ukrainian towns. Mundare is home to the worlds largest "KUBASSA" and Vegreville, the worlds largest "PYSANKA" (Ukranian easter egg). Mundare is home to Stawnichy's world renowned garlic sausage. It sells for around $12.00/pound. A product spawned from all this Kubassa is kubi burgers and cheese Kubi Burgers. It's basically the garlic ring stuffed in a waterproof 90mm casing, poached, cooled, sliced, and cold smoked. For a cheese Kubi I add 10% Mozza, pepper Jack, or Jalapeno Jack, depending what was on sale, or on hand. I cube it, or throw it in the silent cutter if I'm using it. They are grilled and eaten like a regular hamburger or made into a breakfast sandwich. I made some before Christmas and here are some pics.

redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 04:55

Hey Don, thanks for the lesson on making Kubi burgers. They sure look great and are no doubt tasty! I did a bit of research and indeed Alberta is the hot spot for this specialty burger. Seems they are available in restaurants, diners and burger shacks across the province. Numerous meat processors sell them and many will custom make them for their customers. There are many variations but all based on a using a meat preparation that would go into a Ukrainian sausage or "kubassa". The funny thing is that the correct term for "sausage" in Ukrainian is "kovbasa" (ковбаса), but in Western Canada somehow the word "kubassa" evolved into everyday language and the kubi burger was born!

I will definitely make sure to sample a Kubi Burger next time we are driving across Alberta.Image
daniel_centore

Re: Cheese Kubi Burgers

Post by daniel_centore » Sat May 29, 2021 03:01

Hello,

Sorry to revive this old thread! I had a kubi burger a while ago when visiting a friend in Alberta and absolutely loved it, but I'm located in the US so it's very difficult to get them. I was hoping to make some myself and this is the only post I've been able to find about making these patties homemade. I have no experience at all in sausage making so a more detailed recipe would be really appreciated if possible!

Best,
Daniel
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun May 30, 2021 15:01

I would try making just some garlic sausage first to get the process down, then try these. Here is my garlic recipe. All measurements are in grams/kg of meat. I use 60% lean meat like venison or beef and 40% pork belly trim. You can also use all pork and the 60% is butt or loin.

Salt 15
Cure #1 2.5
Black pepper 2.0
White pepper 4.0
Mace .5
Nutmeg 1.0
garlic 8-10 g/kg

Just read through the recipes here for Kielbassa and the process is outlined very clearly. Any of the recipes from the Moderator "Red" are very detailed.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 02, 2021 15:18

Any good recipe for a garlic sausage will work. I regularly make myself a kubi burger or two from whats left in the stuffer. Usually my lunch if I'm making sausage in the morning. The only thing I would suggest here is that if you are preparing the meat only for kubbies, you don't need to add as much cure #1 as you would if making smoked sausage. 1g per kilo is more than enough to give you that red colour and impart flavour.

The recipe that fatboyz posted will work well. Just grind everything with a 6mm plate and mix a little less than you would for sausage, otherwise the burger will be tough and rubbery.

Also take a look at this garlic sausage recipe:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... ebaffe3051
daniel_centore

Post by daniel_centore » Thu Jun 03, 2021 02:09

Thank you both, I really appreciate all this help, I'll give this all a try and see how that comes out!