Weekend sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 12, 2018 19:17

jjnurk wrote:[url=https://images82.fotosik.pl/986/cc8b0724f855c3e8m.jpg]Image[/URL][url=https://images82.fotosik.pl/986/52c21138b96e6f1cm.jpg]Image[/URL]

[url=https://images82.fotosik.pl/986/d2a7a92b6499c70dm.jpg]Image[/URL][url=https://images81.fotosik.pl/985/d45a3643bc0832e7m.jpg]Image[/URL]

This weekend wasn't a sausage weekend, but rather a "lets smoke some fish"weekend. Freshly caught lake trout in northern Manitoba, along with some grocery store caught salmon and mackrel from buddy.
Brined the trout in soya sauce, salt, sugar, onions, garlic, pepper and cayenne for overnight. Smoked on cherry for about 3 hrs and a light coat of maple syrup for the last 1/3 hr. Of course they fell off, but no damage. Delicious!
I learned my lesson about trying to smoke fish that way when i simply hung several pinkies with a string through the tails. They all broke off and tumbled down. Lots of the guys on the Polish forum smoke whole fish but the have special hooks for that. Live and learn! :lol:

Where did you catch that trout? Every spring years we used to go to the lakes north of The Pas. Clearwater Lake was always great for Lake Trout. Your pic brought back memories.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 20:34

Hey Chris, that's exactly where I was. FIrst time there and it was beautiful. I can only imagine how nice it looks up there in the spring/summer. Hoping to go back again.
JjNUrK
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 22, 2018 16:30

Cold smoked loin post have been moved here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... 9112#39112
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 14:28

Another busy weekend :mrgreen: !
300 + lbs of venison swojska, venison summer, venison jalpeno/cheese, some Krakowska, pork/beef swojska and a bunch of pepperoni sticks.
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 15:12

Holy smoke Joe! Are you going into business? There is opportunity there, now that Oscar retired. :lol:
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 16:25

This weekend was the start of the "sausage making season". Goose, beef, moose and pork...300lbs of meaty goodness.
So Chris, to answer your question on the kaszanka, I havent had a chance yet make it. Once I get the hunters taken care off, then it's time to make all the new stuff :lol:

Image Image
JjNUrK
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 15:09

So what do you do when turkeys are on sale for $0.77 / lb? Make sausage of course !!!
The turkey was ground through 6 mm and the pork through 3 mm. The spices consisted of majoram, coriander, bl pepper, cure, sugar and garlic. Smoked on whiskey soaked oak, for about 3 hrs and finished off in hot water.
I must say, this turned out awesome !!! One of the better ones that I've made.

Image Image Image
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Oct 09, 2018 15:47

Looks great Joe! You probably noticed from my posts that I also am a fan of using turkey meat. It's inexpensive, healthy and when mixed with 50% pork makes an excellent tasting sausage. At some point soon I also want to try making the feta and spinach sausage with turkey instead of chicken. The bigger the turkey the higher the yield when you bone them out. It's a time consuming effort but worth it in the end. Last week I bought a couple of large birds, a 24lb and a 30lb. Most of the meat will be used for sausage, but I also usually take out a large breast for roasting (brining first) and for turkey scallopini.

I'm heading to your part of the world early next month so maybe I can sample some of your wares? :lol:
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 16:43

I forgot to mention that I used 55% turkey to 45% pork. My initial thought was to make the turkey/spinach/feta version but obiviously when this route. Samplers are always available, however this is the only one I have so far. :cry:
If you are interested, I can also give you some of the whiskey/oak for smoking.
JjNUrK
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 14:39

Image Image

A weekend ago, consisted of some deer sausage and salceson but also started my first fermented/cured salami. I made some soppressata and some calibrese. The pic is a result of a week in the chamber. I used some Bitec LM-1, which has expired by a year, but I've increased the dosage by 50%. During the fermentation stage, the ph dropped to the 5.2-5.3 range so it is working. After the 2nd day, I sprayed the mould 600, set the temp at 12C and around 75-80% humidity. There certainly is a bunch of intresting smells coming out from the chamber. Hopefully none of them are bad ones. I'm just going to chaulk that up the the fact that the bacteria is doing its thing. Gonna see in 4-5 weeks what the final product will turn out. Crossing my fingers!
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 11, 2018 19:03

The dry cured sausages look like they are coming along as they should. Of course your starter cultures worked. Tht is sometning that I have been repeating here over and over again. I have used three year old packages with no problem at all.

How about some pics of the salceson. Did use head meat?
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 15:10

How about some pics of the salceson. Did use head meat?

I wanted to get some head meat but it didn;t seems as though there wasn't lots of meat, especially around the neck area, so I settled for hocks and beef tongues. The butcher brought out beef tongues instead of pork, but by the time I saw the package, it was too late. It still turned out quite nice, however, I prefer the pork taste in the salceson vs the beef.
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 14, 2018 17:32

Looks good! I on the other hand like beef tongues. The meat is nice and moist, they are easy to skin and a couple of beef tongues go a long way. You would need five times as many pork tongues to play with.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Sun Dec 30, 2018 21:14

Image Image

Deer Loin - Krakowska Style Kielbasa.
I kept the back straps from my massive buck this year and decided to try something new. I soaked them in salt water for over night, to get rid of the "gaminess". Cut them up into cubes and marinaded in coriander, sugar and the appropriate amount of cure and salt. The next day I mixed up the ground pork with majoram, garlic and the remaining required salt and cure. Stuffed into 65 mm casing. Lightly smoked on oak for about 4 hrs, till temp, cooled in water and hung. Voila !!! Very tasty. Apart from the darker appearance of the deer loin, no one would even be able to tell that it is deer.
JjNUrK
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 31, 2018 04:23

Looks beautiful. I love making stuff like this and giving it to people who "don't eat deer meat". :mrgreen: