Weekend sausage

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Weekend sausage

Post by StefanS » Mon Dec 30, 2019 20:50

WOW - it is very impressed - my congrats. And amount of products :) :shock: (bravo) Piekne kielbasy....
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Dec 31, 2019 17:13

StefanS wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 20:50
Piekne kielbasy....
Dzięki !!!
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 05, 2020 17:48

Joe that was a quite the load of sausage you made! I made only 17kg before Christmas and worked all day at it. You made enough to feed a Polish army division! How about giving us the recipe for your sausage? I really would like to see the ingredients and process.
Happy new year!
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 16:27

redzed wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 17:48
How about giving us the recipe for your sausage? I really would like to see the ingredients and process.
Well Chris, it's really nothing special:

salt 1.8% - includes the amount in the cure
bl pepper 2.0%
paprika 2.0%
sugar 1.0%
majoram 1.0%
cure .3%
garlic 60 gm / 25 lbs

Considering the volume, I don't get front shoulders and de-bone, I get ground pork, 70/30 (ground 2x for the binding qualities) and 80/20. Mix them at 50:50. The butcher won't do a 75/25 blend for me so I have to do it myself. I noticed that the 70/30 is too fatty whereas the 80/20 is too lean. The mixture seems to work quite nicely. For venison, I use 70/30, (2x ground) and a 50:50 mixture of pork to venison. Once again the 80/20 is too lean.
I mix and stuff the night before, let it hang and smoke on oak chips the following day till the internal temp reaches 160-165F, which is about 3-4 hrs. Soak in cold water once it's done and eat !!!!
Of course there are several beverages consumed during both processes :lol:
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 18:49

Looks like a great recipe as far as the ingredients, but I think you would have a better product if you processed your own meat, classified it, and cured the cubed meat for 2 days before grinding. Having a good proportion of class 1 pork ground with a 12mm plate really does make a difference. I know it takes a great deal of time, but in the end definitely worth it.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jan 30, 2020 21:03

Nice deer and nice looking sausages! Your deer are much larger than ours.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 14:31

Hey Chris, thanks for the advise on the meat processing, however due to the large volumes that I go through, that would take me a forever and a day to do. I'm restricted quite a bit for not only time but space as well. To tell you the honest truth, I can't say, even for myself, that I've done the process that you've laid out.
Apart from the taste of any recipe, when you say that it makes a difference, are you taking about the texture of the final product or is there really more flavour imparted into the meat by segregating the different classes?
JjNUrK
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 14:34

Butterbean wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 21:03
Your deer are much larger than ours.
Hey Butterbean, if you look on any hunting program or even google hunting Saskatchewan, you'll see that Sask is one of the premium areas in the world for trophy white tail. Believe it or not, the one my son had shot was "average". The biggest I ever got was 8 points short of B and C record, non-typical.
JjNUrK
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Feb 08, 2020 00:02

jjnurk wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 14:34
Butterbean wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 21:03
Your deer are much larger than ours.
Hey Butterbean, if you look on any hunting program or even google hunting Saskatchewan, you'll see that Sask is one of the premium areas in the world for trophy white tail. Believe it or not, the one my son had shot was "average". The biggest I ever got was 8 points short of B and C record, non-typical.
That sounds like it was a monster! We are covered up in deer here but too many want to shoot juvenile bucks rather than letting them get some age on them. Our doe buck ratio is way out of wack and its not uncommon for me to see 10-15 doe when I hunt and with so many doe the good bucks just hole up and wait for the doe to come to them. Of course, I'm unique in that I won't shoot a buck unless its a wall hanger and the odds of me seeing a wall hanger is slim because when those fifteen doe show themselves I start putting meat on the ground. :P
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 19:27

1rev.jpg
2rev.jpg
3rev.jpg
One week later, my annual Thanksgiving turkey sausage !! Found 3 of the biggest turkeys, de-boned them, salted and cured the meat for 48hrs. Ground the turkey on a 6mm sieve, added lean pork that was ground through 3mm. Instead of adding water to mix, I boiled a turkey carcass and used the broth. I used to stuff into regular casings but I noticed that it tastes better cold than hot so I put everything into a 65mm salami casing and smoked it on oak. Along side that, did some KK as well. Overall, turned out quite well to the point that wifey's favourite is no longer the KK but the turkey. Brownie points for me. :D
I also made some Thuringer along side these. Just letting them dry right now. So far, don't mind the taste. Will post something later on.
JjNUrK
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:21

That looks terrific. I like the idea of using broth. It adds another dimension of flavor. I can a various broths for things such as this ranging from mushroom to venison broth. Good stuff to have on hand.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 24, 2020 16:01

Geez, you must be going into business with the volume of sausages you are cranking out! Turkey meat with pork makes excellent sausage. It seems to soften the overall flavour and texture. I didn't have time this thanksgiving to debone a few turkeys for sausage, but will make a point of it to get a couple of big ones when the Christmas specials kick in. The bigger the turkey the higher the yield of deboned meat. A smaller ird usually results in only 50%, but one 33 pounder I deboned earlier this year came in at 60%. Using broth instead of water is a good idea and helps with the flavour and provides some gelatin for a better texture in the finished product. The French also use broth to poach sausages.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 14:28

Th 2.jpg
So alongside the KK and turkey sausage, I also made Thuringer, as per meats and sausages website. I used the mondostart 2 culture, 1 gm / kg, and 10 gm of dextrose / kg. Fermented for 36 hrs at 30C and 90 - ish % humidity. Smoked and cooked till the internal temp was 65C and hung it for 3 weeks. Of course, through out the whole time, it was being nibbled on, so there really isn't much left unfortunately :D . The plan it to dry it, if it last that long, for approx 5 weeks. There has been quite a flavour change as it keeps drying. Certainly something that I will do again. Easy and very tasty.
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 10, 2020 22:31

Looks great! With 10g dextrose you must like your sausage on the sour side!
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Wed Nov 11, 2020 18:25

Thx Chris. There is definitely a tang but certainly not sour. If fact, apart from the store bought, visual is slightly different but the taste is almost bang on. So I guess what's confusing me, and that's because I don't know enough about this stuff yet, is in an earlier post you stated to add 6-8 gm sugars. Dextrose is 20% less sweet so therefore 7.2 - 9.6 gm. From what I understand, if the culture has eaten up its food source, then the "sourness" would stop. If there is more sweetener and the fermentation stops then the left over sugars don't get used up as a food source and that just becomes a waste. There should be different levels of tanginess if I ferment 24 vs 48 vs 72 hrs. I should be able to control the palatable tang with the length of fermentation time and stop it regardless of the amount of sweetener? Obviously, if there isnt enough sweetener, nothing happens.
redzed wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 16:21
If so, you can use just about any culture, where you will utilize only the fermentative bacteria and not the gram positive bacteria. Ferment at 30C, adding 6-8g of sugar per kg
JjNUrK