Polish Potato Sausage (Kiszka Ziemniaczana)

redzed

Polish Potato Sausage (Kiszka Ziemniaczana)

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 05:57

As promised here is a recipe for Kiszka Ziemniaczana. The recipe is a translation from the Polish forum and was submitted by Tier. https://wedlinydomowe.pl/inne-wyroby-mi ... zana-tiera

2 kg of potatoes
5 medium onions, 1 large onion
4 large cloves of garlic
2-3 tablespoons of marjoram
2 tablespoons of pepper
3-4 tablespoons of salt
4 tablespoons of flour
2 eggs
150-200g of smoked bacon
large hog casings or beef middles

Spices can be adjusted to your liking. Cube and fry the bacon and the medium onions. Grate the potatoes and the large onion, press the garlic and add the rest of the spices, mixing thoroughly. Fill the casings loosely and arrange in an oiled baking pan (prick the casings after they have been baking for a while). Bake at a temperature of about 180C(350F) and finish with a higher temp to brown.

Last edited by redzed on Sat Jan 20, 2018 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Jan 20, 2018 21:15

Thank you Redz, I've been waiting, great job.
Question: Grate (UNCOOKED) potatoes right?
What does 150-200 bacon mean, kgs or what?
And I'm guessing to loosely stuff casing is done to some blowouts I see, correct?

This sound so good, gonna make Monday or Tuesday for sure.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 23:47

Yes raw grated taters. And make sure you stuff loosely, more often than not, one or two kiszkas will burst. But that's OK, it will still taste good! :lol:
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 01:28

Thank you redz, but what does 150-200 bacon mean? 150ft - 150 lbs - 150 kgs??? :o
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 02:25

I edited the recipe. Geez you must like bacon! :lol:
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 14:14

:mrgreen: Sure Do!c

I decided last night, first I'm going to make smoked bacon, then the sausage.
redzed

Re: Polish Potato Sausage (Kiszka Ziemniaczana)

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 03, 2021 08:06

Kiszka Ziemniaczana
Here is a recipe for another version on Kiszka ziemniaczana. Lately I have been longing for foods from my childhood and Polish potato sausage has been circling around in my head like a bothersome fly. Finally I got around to making to making a couple coils of this specialty. I remember my aunt serving it when I was around six years old and still living in Poland. My mother made it occasionally during our early years in Canada but it's been a while since I savoured it. Like most comfort foods, it's simple, has common ingredients, but it's a bit labour intensive and is not one of those “dinner in 20 minutes” fixes. My version is close to the kiszka from the Podlaskie region of Eastern Poland,, but includes mushrooms as well. I prepared it in the traditional way by baking, but it can also be poached then browned in a frying pan or grilled. For added flavour it can be baked in a cream and horseradish sauce. Serve with a tangy salad, sauerkraut, coleslaw or tomato sauce. (Ketchup also works well, but don't tell anyone).

Image Image

Kiszka ziemniaczana
2kg peeled potatoes
400g smoked bacon
300g chanterelle or button mushrooms
2 onions
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons of flour
2 garlic cloves
20g salt
5g pepper
2g marjoram
Process
1. Soak and rinse approx 2.5 metres of 42mm+ hog casings.
2. Finely grate the potatoes. Place in a colander and allow the water to drain.
3. Cut the bacon into small cubed or chop if already sliced. Fry until it just starts getting crispy.
4. Chop onions and mushrooms and add to the bacon and fry until golden. Press the garlic and add to the fried mixture in the last two minutes.
5. In a large mixing bowl bring the potatoes and the the rest of the ingredients together and mix well.
6. Immediately stuff into the casings abd arrange in coils on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Stuff very loosely into the casing, about two-thirds capacity to avoid bursting. Prick the sausage liberally and brush with melted lard.
7. Place in oven preheated to 150C (300F). After 30 minutes prick the sausage and flip over. Prick the other side and brush with melted lard. The sausage will be ready after another 30 minutes, for a total baking time of one hour.
Smacznego!