Smoked Sausage Patties . . . Is This Really Sausage?

jcflorida
User
User

Smoked Sausage Patties . . . Is This Really Sausage?

Post by jcflorida » Tue Mar 05, 2019 01:45

I love fixing myself a simulated egg McMuffin for breakfast. For sausage, I have been using the frozen pre-cooked sausage patties from the grocery store. Recently decided to try to make my own pre-cooked patties. Cubed about 4 pounds pork (72% loin, 18% back fat, and 10% picnic) and mixed in 1.5% salt and 0.25% Cure#1. Refrigerated 2 days. Then ground partially frozen loin/fat through 1/4" plate and the picnic twice through a 1/8" plate:

Mixed together the two grinds than divided in two batches of a bit under 2 pounds. Mixed spices for fennel Italian sausage into one batch and for andouille (without most of the cayenne) into the other batch. Then with apologies to ChefSteps https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-roulade recipe, rolled mince very tightly into logs with plastic wrap:

Then proceeded to vacuum bag and sous vide at 145º for 3.5 hours. Ice water bath for an hour, unwrapped and smoked at 140º for 3 hours:

Chilled overnight and sliced:

Picked a handful of blueberries, sliced a banana, toasted an English muffin, microwaved egg, sausage and cheese, and had breakfast in about 5 minutes. Sausage (especially Italian) much better than the store bought cardboard patties.

Will slice up the rest and flash freeze for future use!
Bob K

Re: Smoked Sausage Patties . . . Is This Really Sausage?

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 05, 2019 13:38

Look good Jc! Sure its sausage.
Butterbean

Re: Smoked Sausage Patties . . . Is This Really Sausage?

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 05, 2019 15:21

Looks good and sounds very practical.