First Liverwurst

Agoracritus
User
User

First Liverwurst

Post by Agoracritus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 04:33

I just made a few pounds of Braunschweiger (Leberwurst) for the first time. (Not really sure why I haven’t tried making it before, but probably because even though I’ve always liked Liverwurst, I don’t eat it very frequently.)

I followed the recipe (Marianski’s?) on the sister site, except I substituted chicken livers (since I couldn’t find any pork or calf liver locally).

What a great recipe! The only deviation from the directions I made was poaching the stuffed casings at 150 degrees for 2.5 hours (sous vide). I figured the lower temp would be okay since I poached the livers above the recommended safe internal temperature for organ meats prior to cooling and grinding, and the new safe recommended temp for pork is only 145 degrees. 🤔

So much better than store bought!!! More spreadable/better texture, better flavor and without a lingering bitter aftertaste.

I’ll definitely be making this again, and I think next time I’ll cold smoke some for comparison.
Attachments
30D9211D-A588-4723-B92F-364D5E39D442.jpeg
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: First Liverwurst

Post by DanMcG » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:29

That looks great! I've thought about using chicken liver for the same reason, can't find anything else without special ordering. I think you've convinced me to give it a try.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 13:52

Nice looking liverwurst! I have a question though... I have noticed a few air pockets on this sausage. I have the same when I make bologna or hot dogs and I do meat emulsification using my food processor. If I just grind meat through 3 mm plate twice (after grinding through 5 mm before) - I don't have any air pockets in my sausages... But texture with emulsification is definitely better then with grinding. My question: is it possible to avoid air pocket in sausages when meat is emulsified? Thanks!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 05, 2019 16:22

That looks great Agoracritus!
bolepa wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 13:52
My question: is it possible to avoid air pocket in sausages when meat is emulsified? Thanks!
Highly unlikely, everyone gets some, even the commercial guys with the vacuum stuffers still get some bubbles
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 05, 2019 19:09

Braunschweiger is a liver sausage for those who really love liver. Using chicken livers will produce a milder tasting product than with pork or beef. Agoracritus your braunschweiger looks superb!

It's very difficult if not impossible to avoid air pockets using a food processor or a small buffalo type chopper. Some hobbyists claim that vacuum sealing decreases the amount and size of the air pockets. I have yet to try this because it is such a messy process and I don't have a chamber vac. I learned to live with the little holes and they don't take anything away from the taste.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 22:28

Bob K and redzed, thank you very much for answering my question. It is what it is - I'll leave with air packets.... :D
Agoracritus
User
User

Post by Agoracritus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 00:43

Thanks for the compliments!

In regards to the air pockets, the air bubbles are actually pretty small. What looks like larger air pockets are mostly where bits of minced onion popped out when I made slices.
I used a stand mixer with the paddle attachment to do the emulsification and a vertical stuffer packed as well as I could to fill the casings.

I was a little bit disappointed at first with even small air pockets, but I couldn’t think of any way to get no air in the mix, so I appreciate the feedback that it’s normal (if not inevitable).
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:20

I made this Liverwurst on the weekend from my deer liver. This is a recipe from a German friend. I don't like the real fine type and this is a little coarser. It has a lot of Marjoram in it. It is made with 40% pork belly trim, 40% lean Deer, one Deer liver, and 300 grams of bacon.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 09, 2019 18:07

Looks good. I've tried to use deer liver before in other things and just can't get used to it. Just too strong. I might give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 05:56

I only use the liver from a young buck or a doe. I posted the recipe last year in the sausages forum
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 15:55

Here is the recipe for Albertaed

50% belly trim
20% liver
30% wild game
salt 15g/kg
cure #1, 2.5 g/kg
Black Pepper 7g/kg
Marjoram 3g/kg
allspice 1 g/kg
nutmeg 1 g/kg
thyme 1 g/kg
sugar 1 g/kg
ginger 3g/kg
1 onion (for a ten pound batch)
1/2 pound bacon (for a ten pound batch)

cube up the deer and belly trim and put in a pot with the onion quartered with enough water to cover. boil until cooked. Drop the whole liver into the water for 2 min to seal the pours. Now grind all the cooked meat and onion plus the liver and onion and the raw bacon through a 1/4" plate. Grind it a second time through a 1/8" plate. mix in all the spices and stuff into beef middles or 65mm fibrous casings. Poach in water for 1 hour. Chill and done, or if desired cold smoke for 2 hours.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 17:20

I’m Going to give it a try after Xmas. Thanks!!