Lukainka (French Basque?) Sausage Recipe

DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Lukainka (French Basque?) Sausage Recipe

Post by DanMcG » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09

Someone on another forum is looking for a recipe for lukainka sausage and I thought you all might be able to help. Here is his post:

I have one source to buy Lukainka but it's about 130 miles away so I would like to have a recipe as a backup. A few online searches have mentioned it, but no signs of a recipe. I got a lot of cross-links to Lukanka, but those recipes are not even close to the sausage I'm looking for. The Lukainka I'm after is all pork, fresh, stuffed in hog casing and has a fine grind. After cooking the color is slightly pale, but I can see flecks of black pepper and there is a slight heat from hot peppers. If there is garlic, it's not over powering. The specific region of origin may be referred to as French Basque, after visiting with someone at this towns Basque festival a few years ago.

I've looked around for a while and found some mention of the sausage but no recipes. Does anyone have a recipe to share?
Thanks
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Lukainka (French Basque?) Sausage Recipe

Post by DanMcG » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:50

Ok, So while searching for a recipe I've come to realize lukainka translates to sausage, or pork sausage. I'm guessing what he's looking for is a particular sausage, but it's not called lukainka sausage.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 10, 2020 17:17

Well Lukanka is a Bulgarian dried sausage, so that's not it. Lukainka does not sound like it belongs to Basque, French or Spanish laguages. The Basque word for sausage is hestebete and the best known is chistoforra. From the description this guy might be thinking about the Greek sausage known as loukaniko, a spicy fine ground sausage. There was probably a Greek selling his wares at the Basque festival.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Fri Jan 10, 2020 17:43

Lol Chris, I guess it's possible, but the Greek loukaniko has a noticeable orange and anise flavor which I'd think he'd notice.