Christmas Kiełbasa 2020

redzed

Christmas Kiełbasa 2020

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 23, 2020 06:24

Christmas Kiełbasa 2020
Every year at this time I crank out a larger than usual amount of kielbasa and share it with my friends. This year I made a traditional Polish sausage with the essential ingredients: pepper, garlic and marjoram and added two optional spices, caraway and mace. The sausage was prepared using the Polish meat classification system, curing the meat prior to grinding, and smoking until good colour is on the sausage rather than by time. I'm happy with the results and have received several complements. The key to making a good sausage is more in the process than in the list of ingredients. It's a bit more work and attention to detail, but in the end always worth it.

Recipe for 1kg of meat
Pork, Class I, (butt and loin) no connective tissue, very little fat, 450g
Pork, Class II, (butt and loin) 35-45% fat, 400g
Pork Class III, (hock) rich with connective tissue, no fat, 50g
Beef, any Class, no fat, 100g
Ingredients
Salt, 16g
Cure #1, 2g
Pepper, medium grind, 3g
Fresh garlic, 6g
Marjoram, 1.5g
Mace, 1g
Caraway, ground, 1g
Corn syrup solids, 2g
100ml. water
Processing Instructions
1. Cube the pork and beef, keeping the different classes of meats separate. The beef and Class III pork can be combines at this stage. Add the salt and #1 to the cubed meat, mix well, pack into a container, cover, and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
2. Grind Class I pork through 12mm plate, the Class II pork through 7mm plate and class III pork and beef twice through the 3mm plate. Make sure the meat stays very cold. Placing in the meat in the freezer between the grinding may be necessary.
3. After the grinding Class III pork and beef add all the spices and approximately 30% of the water. Mix and mix until you achieve a sticky but still loose paste. This meat will be binder for the sausage. Add this to the other ground meats and mix well. Add the rest of the water gradually. I first mixed the mixed this batch for 10 minutes in my 33lb. electric mixer.
5. Stuff into 36-42mm hog casings. Twist into neat and uniform links or coils.
6. Set the sausage overnight in fridge or two hours at room temperature.
7. Preheat your smoker to 160F, let it cool, and load your sausage into it. Open top and bottom dampers wide and warm sausage at 110F for one hour. Smoke at 130-145F (55-65C)until you achieve a good colour. Rearrange the sticks mid way through the smoke.
8. Finish by poaching with water at a temp of170F (76C) until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 152F (71C). Cool gently with water and hang at room temp for 2 hours before refrigerating. Don't over chill. The sausage should still be slightly warm inside when hanging to bloom.
9. Allow sausage to bloom at room temperature for two to three hours before moving to a cooler environment. Don't package the sausage for 24 hours.
Sausage is excellent when eaten cold. If heating, bring up to temp only, don't cook again.
Wesołych Świąt!
DuolaAmeng

Re: Christmas Kiełbasa 2020

Post by DuolaAmeng » Wed Dec 23, 2020 09:03

The steps are very detailed, I think you are a gourmet.
How to find a qualified Chinese freight forwarder
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 24, 2020 14:30

DuolaAmeng wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 09:03
Gourmet? I don't think so, but I do like good sausage. The recipe is detailed because there is much more to making a good product than just grinding holus bolus, stuffing and smoking.
G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Thu Dec 24, 2020 15:02

Thanks Chris great recipe hopping you make videos some day. What attachment do you use on the 33 lb. mixer ? I have a old Hobart A20 - 20 qt and I have found the Pastry knife works really well. Like a poor mans Buffalo chopper

Thanks for all your Posts and Merry Christmas

Paul
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Fri Dec 25, 2020 00:59

I just have to say thank you all out there. As red said about no one in general but I accept the title; I was always a "holus bolus" grinder (I like the term) but since joining this site I have learned a lot and have been improving in a great many ways. I still have not spent the time doing it completely "right" in my own mind but have improved things a great deal by curing overnight and grinding things separately. Right now I have a number of commodity shoulders in the freezer, I bought all I could at 80 cents per pound. When the holidays are over I plan on making a nice polish sausage and looking to Stefan, Red and Butterbean in detail for the meat ratios and classes, the different grind plates and emulsifications, the simple spice blends, the multi-day cure, and finally the complex application of smoke...dry thin, heavy, double, etc.

Haven't dialed in exactly what I am planning to make but I sit down a lot with Marianski Polish Sausage and many of your posts both old and new. So Merry Christmas on this Christmas Eve and Happy Holidays of whatever kind to anyone who'd prefer to hear that

Scott
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 18:45

Hey Scott, you can never stop learning and always looking at ways to improve what you are doing. I find that the more I learn the more I realize how little I know. The thing I regret is not having more hands on experience. In making small amounts for home use you just don't get that beat and rhythm that a professional acquires over time.

We look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour in 2021. All the very best,
Chris
DuolaAmeng

Post by DuolaAmeng » Mon Dec 28, 2020 08:22

redzed wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 14:30
DuolaAmeng wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 09:03
Gourmet? I don't think so, but I do like good sausage. The recipe is detailed because there is much more to making a good product than just grinding holus bolus, stuffing and smoking.
I admire you very much. You must be a careful person. I rarely cook for myself. They are called takeaways.
How to find a qualified Chinese freight forwarder
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 16:02

Scogar wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 00:59
I just have to say thank you all out there. As red said about no one in general but I accept the title; I was always a "holus bolus" grinder (I like the term) but since joining this site I have learned a lot and have been improving in a great many ways. I still have not spent the time doing it completely "right" in my own mind but have improved things a great deal by curing overnight and grinding things separately. Right now I have a number of commodity shoulders in the freezer, I bought all I could at 80 cents per pound. When the holidays are over I plan on making a nice polish sausage and looking to Stefan, Red and Butterbean in detail for the meat ratios and classes, the different grind plates and emulsifications, the simple spice blends, the multi-day cure, and finally the complex application of smoke...dry thin, heavy, double, etc.

Haven't dialed in exactly what I am planning to make but I sit down a lot with Marianski Polish Sausage and many of your posts both old and new. So Merry Christmas on this Christmas Eve and Happy Holidays of whatever kind to anyone who'd prefer to hear that

Scott
I sure agree with you. I tried to make good sausage for a long time with little success. I was able to moonlight a bit at a butcher shop/sausage house here for almost 8 years and we made literally tons of good sausage. I did learn a ton there and now make some great emulsified sausage like Wiesswurst and hotdogs. What I have learned here is the same as you said about the finesse of separating meat classes, pre curing, double smoking etc. In a commercial shop you just can't take that kind of time and don't have the space when you want to do a lot of sausage. I am not as patient as I need to be and am sure learning that these little extra steps are what create truly unique and Artisan sausage. These Subtleties you don't find in bigger production batches. I'm still fairly new to the long time dry salami's but have had good success with a nice pepper one, and I have the Landjaeger down now. As I get quite close to retirement now I am looking forward to having the time to do it all right, and take my time. Enjoy the journey fellas!
Don
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 28, 2020 18:53

That looks wonderful and I'm sure your lucky friends appreciated them.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Dec 28, 2020 19:25

I feel the same way.
Over time learning from the veterans of this group and Red in particular, I am slowly starting to understand the subtlety of the recipes and procedures shared. Things overlooked by just a “recipe” that make you think about why the procedures, techniques, ingredients, meat classes etc. are important,

The attention to detail is appreciated.