Dill Ham Sausage

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Dill Ham Sausage

Post by fatboyz » Fri Dec 25, 2020 18:37

We have a little meat shop about 40 km from us that a swiss fellow opened up. I've tried a few of their products just to see what they have and I haven't been real impressed. They tried a new sausage this fall that as really nice though. It's a ham sausage in a 42 mm hog casing but it has a fair bit of dill added. They have the nice big chunks of cured lean pork in it. Initially when they made it I suspect they were able to source fresh dill locally. I won't have fresh dill available until next year but have some dried drill. As dill is fairly light I'm thinking maybe .5 or 1 gram/kg? Red probably has some thoughts as he has done a lot of different products. I'm thinking to try it as a standard kielbasa type process with mild seasonings and then the dill.
Any thoughts?
redzed

Re: Dill Ham Sausage

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 25, 2020 22:43

Dill is not that common of an ingredient in sausage. And where I have seen it used it was the dill seeds and not dried or fresh dill. But 1g of dried dill in a smoked sausage would probably not be enough if you actually want to taste it. I'm usually quite generous with the dill when I make salmon or soups, so I would add at least 3grams per kilo if it's described as a ham dill sausage. Garlic pairs well with dill, so a hint of it would probably add to the overall flavour. Len Poli has a recipe for the Russian sausage with dill, but I don't know how authentic it is. The sausage sounds interesting though and for those who like the flavour of dill might be a winner.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 26, 2020 00:07

We are huge dill fans so we really like this. We had some of the bought product fried this morning for breakfast and it was a hit. Going to give it a go next week. Thanks for the input Chris. Merry Christmas.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 16:26

Had some more of the shop made sausage today and noticed whole dill seeds in it. I'm going to pick some up and use a combination of dried dill weed and whole dill seeds. Cubing and salting/curing the meat today.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 19:39

I'm looking forward to seeing the results and the whole recipe for this ham sausage. Next week I'm expecting Thrifty's to have whole legs on sale for buck a pound and will be picking up several. Might have a crack at that ham sausage as well.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 20:44

As I manage my time this coming week with going camping new years eve, Factoring in cure time, ferment time, cold smoke time, I will likely make all the sausage tomorrow. I will make this one late tomorrow, overnight it and smoke it Tuesday. Paprika salami and Genoa will be made tomorrow and put to ferment tomorrow afternoon, cold smoke the paprika on thursday, then off for New years!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Dec 29, 2020 03:24

The way timing went I had to make this today to fit this weeks schedule. I'll post the recipe tomorrow after they cool and I try them.
Resting for a few hours inside before smoking.

After smoking I poached them in my Beer Keg electric poaching tank. Nice and chilly outside tonight so they're out side cooling down them back in the shed for the night.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Dec 29, 2020 18:12

It turned out nice but a little light on the Dill flavor and heavy on garlic. I used 3.5g/kg fresh garlic. Also on the dill I used 3.0 dill weed, and 2.0 dill seed. In the below recipe I have adjusted the amounts for my next batch.

Venison, Class I, no connective tissue, no fat 50% 4500
Pork Loin 30% 2700
Pork Belly trim 20% 1800
Salt 1.70% 153
Cure #1 0.20 18
Black Pepper, medium grind 0.30% 27
dill weed 0.60% 54
Dill seeds 0.35% 31.5
Garlic granules 0.20% 18
Mace 0.10% 9
Dextrose 0.20% 18
Water 100 ml/kg 10.00% 900
The venison was ground twice through a 5mm plate and the belly trim was ground once. The loin cubes WERE NOT GROUND.

I Mixed the ground meats and the loin cubes in my mixer with the spices and water for 8-9 minutes.
These were stuffed into 42mm Hog casings and hung inside to rest at room temp. for 2 hours.
They went into the smoker at 130 for 45 min to dry, then up to 170 with smoke for 4 hours.
I then poached them in my water tank to 67 C IT, they then went back on the sticks and put outside in the winter cold to cool for 1 hour.
Overnighted them inside to bloom then Vac Packed this morning.

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 30, 2020 05:38

Looks great! Thanks for the recipe. How does it taste? Was the dill at the front? Did the whole seeds work well?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:31

Red, no actually garlic is at the front and the dill is just there if you're looking for it. The seeds worked well but as in the recipe posted I need to bump up the amounts of dill. I'm wondering how it will be with nice fresh dill weed instead of the dry.