Butchered Pig

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Butchered Pig

Post by Albertaed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 19:37

We’ll gang I just finish butchering another pig I got from a Hutterite colony that’s close by. It is really interesting from a sausage making perspective to not only get beautiful hams, loins and side belly to cook and smoke but to put to use the different meat classes which makes for almost no waste. I found it hard to believe that most heads, liver, heart and leaf fat are not taken by individual orders. My friend at the colony let me take all I wanted! I’m not sure what I’ll do with the skin yet but it’s packed and frozen as well. It took me two days to do but now I’m going to settle in and watch football while I render lard and cure bacon!
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Butchered Pig

Post by Scogar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 23:07

Skin = Collagen...lotsa uses
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcboy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 02:22

Nice!!!
Here are some YouTube videos that I have watched that you might like....
I have watched these more than twice. Hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtnsZ2JaKso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXPmxWEXrRU
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcboy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 02:57

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 04:51

Thanks for the links BCBoy. Scott Rhea was one of the guys I first used to learn how to butcher a pig.Normally I cut them into regular cuts and trimmings but this time outside of a few hams, and bacon I broke down most of it into meat classes just for salami and sausage. I was lucky enough to shoot a moose also so I’m loaded!
How did your chamber turn out?
woklikeaman

Post by woklikeaman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 09:31

Man, free pig heads, love em! What a deal!
I used to love making cotechino with some skin in it. Although, if you have a whole pig's worth, that's a lot. Might have to make some pork rinds, as well.
Nice work on the moose, too. That's a lot of meat. I'm in Seattle, but my brother gets one about every 1.5yrs in Alaska.
Do you do a bit of moose charcuterie?
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 14:11

I’ve put it in Mettwurst and Thuringer but I’m going to make some salamis with it this winter. I love going to the coast for fishing!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 22:30

Lucky you Ed! What was the weight of the pig? Did you get a good price? If you are going to smoke any of the pork, leave the skin on. Most European butchers will tell you that the flavour will be better. Some sausage recipes do include skin, of course cotechino, as was already mentioned, but also weisswurst style (but only about 5%) and if I recall correctly some Lithuanian sausages. I use skins in headcheese and sometimes when I have large pieces I tie them on top of leaner pork or beef roasts. And there are those that just boil the skins and eat them hot with mustard and bread. :D
I wish I could get heads for that price! They are hard to get here, but occasionally I buy them from a wholesaler for 4.59kg. The cheek meat is abolutely one of the tastiest parts of the pig and superb in headcheese (along with hocks, feet and tongue).
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 22:56

The pig was 200 pounds dressed. He threw in the leaf lard, heads, heart,kidneys and livers from 2 others for $265.00 cash. I’m not ready to tackle headcheese etc. just yet. I’ve still got lots to learn as it is. :lol: :lol: I do leave the skin on for some roasts but I think I’ll just make some pork rinds for right now.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 23:05

Geez, you stole it! The local guys here want 5 bucks a pound dressed weight! Head cheese is messy to make but so good! Didn't you grow up with sulze?
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 23:55

Jeez that’s pretty steep. Now I wonder if I should get a free range pig. I looked at somebody selling them once but though they were way too pricey. My parents are both from Germany so I loved anything and everything they would prepare. My dad was the only one who ate headcheese so it just wasn’t around much. It’s on the to do list for sure.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 19, 2021 00:47

Well, daughters won't eat headcheese, tongue and have a fear of fat. I don't know where I went wrong.

I bought a half of a free range pig four years ago. The meat was great, especially for salumi but expensive. And I had way too much lard left that I eventually had to throw away. I thing the best way to go is to get a pork about the weight you got.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 19, 2021 20:52

Using some of the skin you have I'd suggest you try making Naem moo. I suspect you'd have trouble finding green banana leaves but you might try substituting corn shucks or corn leaves. This is a really good fermented sausage and not to say interesting in process, texture and flavor.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8644&p=40734&hilit ... dec#p40734
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcboy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:53

Albertaed wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 04:51
Thanks for the links BCBoy. I was lucky enough to shoot a moose also so I’m loaded!
How did your chamber turn out?
Moose you say. That's how this journey began. Moose landjaeger sausage. Still waiting on the HP meter, should be here Friday. Do you have a recipe? I have the fridge in the basement hooked up to the humidifier, dehumidifier with the inkbird controllers. Just need a small fan for air circulation. What do you use for a fan or what would you recommend?
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Jan 20, 2021 18:28

BCboy l’ve never had to use a fan. I open up my fridge enough that there is enough air flow. I’ve done mostly semi dry sausage with moose Mettwurst and Thuringer. I’m about to try Marianski’s Cacciatore with moose so we’ll see how that goes.Do you hunt moose?