Braunschweiger Leberwurst

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Braunschweiger Leberwurst

Post by Albertaed » Fri Jan 29, 2021 22:08

This is my first attempt at liverwurst. Its Marianski's recipe using 50/50 pork liver/pork jowls.

Salt 1.8%
Pepper .2%
Nutmeg .5%
Ginger .5%
Caradamom .3%

Scalded liver for 10 minutes.
Semi froze liver.
Poached jowls @ 190F to IT of 156F.
Ground liver and jowls separately through 3mm plate.
Emulsified liver and jowls separately in food processor.
Mixed liver, jowls, spices and 10% broth in food processor.
Stuffed into Beef Middle and poached @176F to IT 157F.
Cold water bath for 10 minutes and into the fridge.

Picture shows it not completely cold. It could have been slightly stiffer but it is easy to spread and tastes deelish.

For a slightly stiffer paste should I ease up on the broth or maybe add a bit of skin?

Has anybody had any luck freezing liverwurst?

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Braunschweiger Leberwurst

Post by Albertaed » Fri Jan 29, 2021 23:48

Update: Now that it’s totally cooled the consistency is perfect. But I’m still wondering if it can be frozen.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 01:22

I vac pac and freeze mine all the time.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Sat Jan 30, 2021 03:14

I freeze mine as well. And if you add skin, make sure to research how long to boil and emulsify as last year I didn't cook mine long enough and it was gritty since the skin wasn't completely softened to emulsify into the blend
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Tue Jan 11, 2022 23:23

2022 Braunschweiger...I typically make the same Marianski recipe as Ed. This time I used 46% venison liver and 54% soft fat. The reason was because that's how the weights worked out and saving the small amount of fat for something else didn't seem worth it. Scalded liver for 3 minutes and cooled in ice. Ground meats separately through 3mm plate. Placed both in freezer for a couple of hours to cool down. Added liver first to bowl chopper and emulsified until it looked good (no objective standard). Added chopped onion and seasonings to that. Added fat and emulsified. Never checked temp but I know I didn't come close to reaching fat break as I only ran it for about five more minutes.

My bowl chopper is messy and I was constantly fighting to keep everything in vs building up on the edge of the bowl and seeping out of various joints. Once emulsified stuffed into 55-60 mm hog middles, poached for 90 min, cooled and then dried in sausage refrigerator overnight. "Attempted" to smoke the next day with an A MAZ'N smoker knockoff. Spent three to four hours while working trying to keep the thing lit. Probably 15 min of smoke all in. So I torched the sawdust for a while and got it well lit. It burnt across all the tracks like a slow wild fire. Probably ended up with 60-90 min cold smoke. I'm ok with that. I suspect it was too cold out for proper draw so I'll experiment a bit on that.

Overall very tasty and spreads nicely. Next test is to give it to liver haters and see if they know.

Much better than my first attempt a few years ago Image
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 01:02

This is a version I make with Venison liver. I don't like the real "pastey" kind and this is a little coarser.
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 3006b990aa