Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage

Post by Scogar » Sun Jan 31, 2021 17:10

So I bought a 1/2 bushel of apples in the Fall and am nearing the end of them, but the remaining ones are not the best for eating. Having these apples and about 3.9 kg of leftover pork trim from my Polish sausage making last week I googled some options. Came up with the 2 Guys and a Cooler 2020 sausage series (that I did watch but forgot this episode) and they had an Apple Maple Breakfast sausage. The original comes from a Canadian in Toronto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVrcbkdkAKs

Although I'm a northern Yank living in the Deep South now; I still really miss my maple syrup (and the snow). Yesterday I made some sausage.
The only sheep casings I had were ones I bought for wieners...but oh well I tried to throttle some of the links in volume, others in length. What I learned is buy some 22 mm, I'll be happier. The recipe is:
  • Pork Shoulder 70/30 + Fat 100%
    Salt 1.50%
    Onion Diced 5.00%
    Apple Diced 10.00%
    Sage 0.07%
    Mustard Powder 0.09%
    Black Pepper 0.13%
    Red Pepper 0.07%
    Maple Syrup 0.02%
Although its a pretty tasty sausage I can't land on whether or not I'll make it again. I tend to like the savory flavor of the typical American Breakfast sausage, pork with sage (with or without cayenne) to which I can always simply eat alongside some pancakes sloppy with maple syrup.

In the end it's a decent sausage and may simply just grow on me or become a grill snack instead of a breakfast link. The way the onion combines with the flavor is also interesting but again I can't help but wonder if this is a flavor I'd rather have off the grill. Here we are cooked up
Butterbean

Re: Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 01, 2021 16:44

Looks good Scogar. I understand what you are saying about the flavor of the sausage as I've encountered the same feelings when making fruit laden sausages. Though good and I enjoy the change they just somehow don't seem to be something I crave on a regular basis. A few years ago I had an abundance of blueberries and decided to make some blueberry sausages. These tasted good and reminded me of the sausage you might eat at Waffle House late at night after the blueberry syrup gets on your link sausages. Good yes but somehow the sweet flavor isn't something you crave on a regular basis. However, one of my friends said this was the best sausage he'd ever eaten and encouraged me to make more, which I haven't even though I've thought about it from time to time but there are so many more out there I haven't tasted so I've chosen to plug on making others.

Now that you are in the south you need to forget that watery maple syrup and locate some real cane syrup that hasn't been diluted with corn syrup. You'll soon be a convert. :D

BTW - you might want to try some collagen casings for the breakfast links if you plan on making a lot of breakfast sausages. The take a little getting used to but once you get the feel on how to stuff them properly they are really handy to have on hand.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Mon Feb 01, 2021 18:27

Hey Butterbean, I was aware of the sorghum molasses but I'll have to seek out the real cane syrup...insulin resistance be damned :mrgreen:

I'll have to give the collagen a try, only using it for the 60 mm sausages so far, I'm assuming the breakfast sausage would be the accordioned version
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 01, 2021 20:56

Yes, its the accordion things. They make several types so be sure to get the one for fresh sausages and not smoked. They will take some getting used to but once you get the knack of it they are really easy to work with. Key is not to overstuff, stuff loose enough that you don't have problems linking them. Also, once you link them keep them whole then freeze them then separate them and vac-seal and freeze. Vac-sealing non frozen cut sausages isn't a pretty thing take this advice from someone who learned the hard way. :lol: