South African farmers Sausage

magician176

South African farmers Sausage

Post by magician176 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 02:09

I have made tons of our traditional farmers sausages in the past. I tried many tricks and tips and yet I cannot get mine as juicy as some butchers that I have purchased fresh sausages from for BBQ. Those who know won't let you onto it(that is what I am guessing)Just the other day I visited South Africans in the north island and we had a BBQ. They presented traditional farmers sausage they had purchased from a pastor of their church who make it for people interested. The sausage was just perfect and so juicy, the sausage would explode into a wonderful spurt of spiced juice when I laid my teeth into it! I asked immediately for the recipe, but they refrained and said he cannot share his recipe with others, he keep his clients that way! So, here I am asking if any of you experts can lead me into perfection when I make my next batch? What makes this sausage so juicy???
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Re: South African farmers Sausage

Post by Albertaed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 02:34

Hey Magician what is the recipe you are using?
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Wed Mar 17, 2021 06:47

magician176 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 02:09
What makes this sausage so juicy???
A binder to hold the water in. Non fat dry milk is a good one, but there are many commercial binders available here in the states.
Adding salt to meat to extract salt soluble proteins for a really good bind is key. Mix very well until meat paste will stick to your hand when you turn it over...the meat will not fall.
magician
Beginner
Beginner

Post by magician » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:42

Hello, My recipe is in Afrikaans, so I am adding a similar recipe, it is basically the same, just a slight difference in spice.
https://www.all4women.co.za/food-and-ho ... ors-recipe
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:37

I personally have not used them but you may want to look into various binders such as non fat dairy or soy isolate.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Fri Mar 19, 2021 21:12

Don't know if it will help in terms of ingredients you may be able to get is SA, but you might look through this discussion

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... /additives

Edit: Also, make sure you're mixing very thoroughly to ensure better binding.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Fri Mar 19, 2021 21:50

Non fat dairy milk is not powdered skim milk btw. Search it on this site. Theres been a few good discussions
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sat Mar 20, 2021 17:43

I was thinking about this post as I was frying up my moose breakfast sausage. Moose is an extremely lean meat so I add 25-30% fat.But in order to get a juicy finished patty or sausage I sear it on high heat for a minute or so to get a nice browning on the outside and then reduce the heat way down until the center is cooked through. Sort of like a tuna steak. On the bbq you cooked try putting them on indirect heat until cooked. Just a thought 🤷‍♂️
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 22, 2021 07:00

Any of the additives mentioned above will help, as will meat cuts with a high water holding capacity and pork fat additions. Phosphate really works well and is an ingredient in most commercial product. Also used in home made sausages, although many won't admit to using it. If adding non-fat milk powder (AKA skim milk powder) you have to use the non-instant type. The instant type that you buy in the supermarket will not do anything as it's highly soluble and does not bind water. But I think that Ed centred in on the reason that your boeurwurst might be too dry. Don't over cook it. You can grill it fast or slow, but use a thermometer and take it off the grill once you reach 71C.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Mon Mar 22, 2021 15:09

JjNUrK
magician176

Post by magician176 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 22:10

Thank you all for your insets, I really appreciate it. The milk powder seems to be the answer, I will certainly try that. It would mean that the butchers back home never let on they are using this binder! I am busy with my fruit salami experiment, so my next try would be the farmer sausage with milk powder binder. Thank you all again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jun 19, 2021 18:01

Make sure that the milk powder is the non-instant type variety. Instant milk powder is highly soluble and does not hold water. But if you overcook the sausage it will be dry and crumbly no matter what you do. Overcooking the main reason why sausages are dry.