Looking for a Sicilian Sausage Recipe

Mmmm Meat
Beginner
Beginner

Looking for a Sicilian Sausage Recipe

Post by Mmmm Meat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 09:15

I've been looking around the internet for a recipe for a Sicilian Sausage that I used to buy in the little mom and pop stores along the West Coast of Sicily - Messina south to Catania and Syracuse. I was stationed there twice, for a total of five years, during my Navy days when I would just walk into town and pick up a half-kilo on Sundays and just throw it on the grill. Simple but it had amazing flavor. It is a very basic sausage coil, white pork meat, some fennel (I believe) and a bit of spice. This is the only recipe I've found that appears similar, but what I'm thinking of is very light in color (unlike this example).

https://www.manusmenu.com/home-made-sic ... ith-fennel

I've tried to replicate it on my own, but it's been too long since I've tasted the original and nothing I've made has come close to that flavor.
Attachments
sicilian sausage.jpg
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Looking for a Sicilian Sausage Recipe

Post by Dumoine » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:14

This is the recipe I use. I have tried several and this simple recipe stands above the others. Less is more with this sausage.

2268 grams pork butt (5 pounds) Grind though an 8mm plate.
24.5 grams kosher salt
6.5 grams fennel seed, coarsely ground in the spice grinder
3 grams anise seed
7.5 grams black pepper, coarsely ground
13 grams red pepper flakes
100 grams water
10 feet hog casings
Mmmm Meat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mmmm Meat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 16:50

Thank you very much. I'll give that a try.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 01:34

Dumoine, no offense meant...I was looking at this recipe as a great start and converted it into percentages. The salt seems a little low to me, is it? Here's the percentages:

Salt 10.8
Fennel Seed, cracked 2.9
Anise 1.3
Black Pepper 3.3
Red Pepper 5.7
Cold Water/Red Wine 44.1

I haven't seen salt this low, most recipes are running around 18% and I am finding I like 16%. Again, just asking as this may be worth the effort in my opinion. I guess I could always taste it before casing it :o
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 01:40

Sorry, didn't mean percentages....I meant grams per kilo of meat. And of course 16 to 18 grams of salt per kilo vs the 10.8. My bad :mrgreen:
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dumoine » Sat May 01, 2021 13:30

I use less salt.
I use about 11 grams of salt for each kilo of meat (1.1%). I know most recipes call for 1.5% salt or more, but to me the higher salt content makes the sausage too dominant in salt and the other seasonings are unable to shine through. Family and friends that eat this sausage have never mentioned it needed more salt. I use about 1.1% salt in Italian sausage, bratwurst and bangers. I do however use more salt in breakage sausage (1.3%).
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Wed May 05, 2021 22:19

I assume that this is a fresh sausage recipe with that low of a salt percentage...is this correct?
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dumoine » Thu May 06, 2021 00:41

Yes it is a fresh sausage. I use less salt in semi dry fermented sausages. Pepperoni 1.3%. Italian salami 1.7%. For hot smoked sausages such as Kabonosy and Mysliwska I go with 1% salt.