Starting with frozen meat and then freezing the finished sausage

LinkMeAllOver
Beginner
Beginner

Starting with frozen meat and then freezing the finished sausage

Post by LinkMeAllOver » Thu Jun 10, 2021 19:51

So, typically when I'm getting pork shoulder it's fresh and I make my sausages as normal and then vacuum seal and freeze. No problem. I'm trying to source some beef and lamb but most of what I'm finding from wholesalers is frozen or previously frozen (thawed). Especially with lamb. It's all coming from NZ or Aus and it's frozen.

Usually thawing and refreezing meat is considered a bad idea, but I gather it's mostly because of a degradation of meat quality since the cellular walls are being broken down. But when you're grinding it up you're breaking it up anyway.

Any thoughts? Has anyone made sausage from previously frozen meat, and then frozen again? Was there any difference?
Bob K

Re: Starting with frozen meat and then freezing the finished sausage

Post by Bob K » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15

LinkMeAllOver wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 19:51
Has anyone made sausage from previously frozen meat, and then frozen again? Was there any difference?
Many, many times fresh or smoked sausage. No problem at all.
I would have to add that I froze and thawed the meat it was not purchased that way. Personally I would shy away from purchasing previously frozen meat that has been thawed. Still frozen should be fine, commercial producers have the ability to flash freeze which cuts way down on the cell walls rupturing.
LinkMeAllOver
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Starting with frozen meat and then freezing the finished sausage

Post by LinkMeAllOver » Fri Jun 11, 2021 14:46

Thanks. And, yeah, my preference would always be to purchase frozen and monitor thawing personally.