DIY sausage kit

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

DIY sausage kit

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 02:44

My daughter is home for reading week from University and we're out deer hunting. Got a nice fat buck this morning so we started our DIY sausage kit! Four more to go!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: DIY sausage kit

Post by fatboyz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 03:52

Two more does tonight and a buck this morning. Will be doing some butchering tomorrow afternoon and starting some venison in the cure for some of Reds venison sausage.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 02:49

And we are done! Six deer in 3 days. We have a pile of butchering to do. This will be split between my two daughters families, my wife and I and My mom and dad. Lots of sausage to start!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 03:10

Mostbrockli is one of the things I like to make with venison back strap, usually from a buck. It is made very closely to German Speck. I'll start a separate thread when I make some up from the loins of one of our bucks.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 11, 2021 16:46

Congrats Don! You guys are not going to have to go to a supermarket for a while! I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with the that backstrap. Last fall I had nice one and prepared it sous vide, with a chanterelle gravy and potato dumplings. In my view it was great, perfectly cooked and tender, but some of my family were not too keen on it because they would have liked to taste like beef. I ended up using the second backstrap in sausage. My family in Sask is not done yet this year, but one them was drawn for moose and got one that dressed well over 600lbs. I'm looking forward to tasting a steak off that one.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 21:26

Three butchered and three more to go. We are having some fast fried tenderloin for lunch. Awesome. I'll do a separate post on the Mostbrockli. I still have a late season cow elk draw that starts at Christmas. We are done deer hunting for this year.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 02:47

Man I am bushed. Butchered 5 deer today! making cutlets in the tenderizer tomorrow, and slicing jerky meat. have 15 pounds of class I set aside for some of Reds venison sausage. Time for a rum!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:22

Hope that rum went down well! BTW, have you tried Bumbu rum? A friend gave me a bottle a few years ago and now I'm a fan as is a whole bunch of guys who tasted it at my house. I might have some today while watching the Riders crush the Elks. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing your sausage results. I will be making some venison sausage in the coming week and might do a different recipe than the old stand by.

Can you post your jerky recipe? I still have a package of Stuffer's Cowboy spice mix, which I think is great, but always looking for something different.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Tue Nov 16, 2021 02:05

I know it isn't charcuterie per se, but for dinner I took a backstrap, coated it in mustard, sea salt and black pepper and put it on a blazing grill. Rolled it a few times and was able to get it off before it cooked too deeply. After a couple of slices for dinner I saved the majority of it and the next day I took it from the refrigerator and sliced it super thin. Used on salads and sandwiches...best thing ever (at least accounting for it NOT being cured, ground, or smoked)

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 20:28

Looks awesome! I do similar with Chunks of deer loin.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 17, 2021 17:44

Scogar wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 02:05
I know it isn't charcuterie per se, but for dinner I took a backstrap, coated it in mustard, sea salt and black pepper and put it on a blazing grill. Rolled it a few times and was able to get it off before it cooked too deeply. After a couple of slices for dinner I saved the majority of it and the next day I took it from the refrigerator and sliced it super thin. Used on salads and sandwiches...best thing ever (at least accounting for it NOT being cured, ground, or smoked)

Looks great Scott! And it's one one the healthiest meats you can eat.