Kabanosy z Dziczyzny - Venison Kabanosy

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 21, 2021 08:25

Since I've been looking at different ways to use the whitetail deer meat in my freezer, I made some some venison Kabanosy. It's been a while since we had Kabanosy and this batch turned out very well. Of course traditional Kabanosy are made from pork as the name suggests. A “kaban” in Eastern Polish dialect is fattened pig. This particular take on Kabanosy was mas made with 40% Class 1 Whitetail deer meat, 60% pork using traditional seasoning and traditional Polish process. The amounts of the spices were increased because the venison. Making Kabanosy is different from making other sausages. When you take a properly crafted Kabanos and try to bring both ends together, it should immediately snap in two and not bend into a horseshoe shape. Kabanosy are purposely made to be brittle, so when it comes to mixing the ground meat and spices, most sausage recipes will tell you to mix until the mass is sticky and gluey, making it possible for a ball of meat to stick to your palm without falling off. Not so with Kabanosy, you do not mix to that consistency, but rather fold the meat just so the spices and the meats are evenly distributed. Otherwise the finished sausage sticks will be rubbery like licorice twists. You can make Kabanosy with collagen casings, but original Kabanosy are stuffed into sheep casings and there is a reason for that. The sheep casing is thin, sticks very well to the sausage, gives off a nice snap when you bite into it, and aficionados assert that it imparts a unique and desirable flavour.
Note that in the recipe the spices are mixed into the cubed meat after curing and before grinding. That step reduces the amount of mixing before stuffing. I should also mention that no water is added to the farce and Kabanosy are never poached or cooled with water. Kabanosy fall into the category of semi-dry sausages as they are dried for a few days before consumption.
Venison Kabanosy - Recipe for 1kg of meat block
Venison, Class I – 40%
Pork , class I - 20% hind leg (fresh ham)
Pork, class II (up to 45% fat) - 40% ham and/or picnic trimmings
Curing ingredients: non-iodized salt 16g, Cure#1 2g, sugar 2g.
Added before grinding:
Fresh ground pepper - 2g
Nutmeg - 1g
Caraway – 1.5g
Garlic - 3.0g/kg
Instructions
Cubed meat cured for 72 hours
Class I meat ground with 10mm plate
Class II meat ground with 7mm plate
Sheep casings are stuffed firmly
Setting (drying) approximately 12 at 2-8 C (35-45 F), or 2-3 hours at room temp.
Drying (in smoker) up to 45-50 C (113-122 F)
Smoking at 60-65 C (145-150 F) until achieving the right colour, usually 2 hours. minutes
Finish (bake) at 80-85 C (188-185 F) around 20-30 minutes. It should be 71C (160F)
Cooling by air, do not water cool!
Dry in a cool space, 10-15C for three to four days. Most of us can't wait that long, and that's OK.
Smacznego!
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Kabanosy z Jeleniny - Venison Kabanosy

Post by bolepa » Sun Nov 21, 2021 21:00

Well.... Looks absolutely fantastic! The color, how it dried... and obviously texture (visually)... Nice!
redezed, what if I use beef instead of venison? Do you think this recipe is goin to work without changes?
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 01:13

Looks great and I appreciate the detail
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 22, 2021 18:32

bolepa wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 21:00
Well.... Looks absolutely fantastic! The color, how it dried... and obviously texture (visually)... Nice!
redezed, what if I use beef instead of venison? Do you think this recipe is goin to work without changes?
I think you would still bet a darned good sausage stick with adding some beef, but don't go over 30-40%. Best is to try it, and if you like it, then that's great. You might get challenged by some that what you made are not kabanosy because the original product is all pork, but what counts is making a tasty sausage. I was scolded for that on a Polish sausage making site after I posted the picture of my venison kabanosy, but they are a knockout and I'll be making them again. :D
Scogar wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 01:13
Looks great and I appreciate the detail
Thank you. I felt I needed to explain the process as best as I could. The methodology in making kabanosy is different.
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Kabanosy z Dziczyzny - Venison Kabanosy

Post by Dumoine » Sun Mar 27, 2022 01:25

Red,

Thanks for posting. I tried your method with this last batch of kabanosy and it was the best I have ever made. I used all pork. Cured the pork cubes for 72 hours and added the seasonings before grinding. I do not have a 10mm or 7mm plate, so I used an 8mm and a 4.5mm plate.

2268 grams pork 40% (907 grams) class I and 60% (1361 grams) class II
21.5 grams kosher salt (0.95%)
5.4 grams cure #1
2.7 grams sugar
4.5 grams black pepper
2.7 grams nutmeg
2.7 grams caraway
5.7 grams red pepper flakes

I know the addition of red pepper flakes may not be authentic, but I think it makes this classic even better. Below is a picture of the sausages hanging in the smoker during the drying phase.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am really pleased with the way the kabanosy turned out and I am looking forward to making it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 02, 2022 06:51

Congrats, your version of spicy kabanosy look pretty darned tasty!
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 05:39

Looking at that, I'm sure this would would work very well with Kangaroo instead of the venison. On my "must try" list now :)
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:57

Another one to try. I have a freezer full of venison. Looks like a nice one to take on day hikes this summer.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Apr 06, 2022 14:27

Chris this is on my list to try with venison over Easter.