Kosher Beef Sausage

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Kosher Beef Sausage

Post by Scogar » Mon Apr 18, 2022 14:54

Last week I fell into a good deal on beef. I bought a 30 lb. shoulder clod at $2.09 per pound. I did my best to butcher it and did manage to pull out both flat iron steaks. The rest of it looked like it could be used for roasts, London Broil, and stew or grind. With most of the meat I decided to make Kosher Beef Sausage as well as All Beef Hotdogs, both from Marianski. The 15½ lbs. of beef sausage that I made today used up a bag of brisket fat as well. However, the shoulder clod contributed almost 12 lbs. of meat to this sausage.
I ground the meats with a 3/8” (10 mm) plate and mixed all ingredients adding water. The farce was stuffed into 61 mm Summer Sausage casings that were cut to 12 inches long. The links were hung overnight in the sausage refrigerator at about 36°F. Air pockets were pricked to remove air.

The next day, Easter Sunday, I hung the sausages in the smoker and smoked them with a hot smoke. The temp never exceeded 130°F and most of the time was under 120°F. But after 2 hours and 40 minutes the sausage started to develop a mahogany brown color on the casings.

At that time, I put them in a water bath at 75-80°C for one minute per millimeter, or 60 minutes. I think this was a mistake on this sausage as many of the casings either filled with water or had fat render out. Next time I would bake the sausage to the necessary internal temperature. Since I did grind up a lot of silver skin and other gnarly bits, I think next time I would take the meat to 1/4 inch grind whilst keeping the fat at 3/8. It just might make for a slightly prettier sausage. This sausage tastes pretty good. I'm not personally sold on all beef, but these are mostly for my wife who will eat it with some cheese and crackers for lunch.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Kosher Beef Sausage

Post by fatboyz » Wed Apr 20, 2022 03:58

Did you use the recipe from the Marianski book? I made some with that recipe the other day and was very happy with the results.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 20, 2022 04:08

It might have worked better for you if you would have smoked the sausages at a higher temp and for at least another hour. The IT should have been at least 125 before poaching, and it would have been better to cook to 160f rather than by time. When the sausages are immersed in hot water the heat transfer rate is quite fast. I would also check with your supplier whether the casing you used can actually be used in poaching.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Apr 20, 2022 13:22

Fatboyz - yes it was the Marianski recipe with no real changes other than perhaps a bit rougher on the meat and of course the poaching. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... ef-sausage

Chris - thanks for the insights but I locked myself into the two hour time specified in Marianski. I did this instead of considering the reasoning. I was concerned that baking to 160°F on the smoker might result in my inevitable temp run away and I would have melted the sausage. So your thoughts are spot on I think and I will implement them on my next batch and just dial in my temp control to minimize that chance...i.e., constant monitoring as I ramp up.

In fact, I was quite disappointed because I noticed the nice mahogany brown casings that I pulled from the smoker actually washed out upon poaching. I didn't expect this because last year's batch of ham sausage was poached and I didn't have a problem at all. But I'm kind of landing on only poaching the emulsified sausages as the breakdown seems to be lessened or less noticeable, like the recent Gelbwurst post and my Braunschweiger.