Frankfurter-All Beef

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Frankfurter-All Beef

Post by Scogar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 18:29

Finally finished my all beef hotdogs. Marianski recipe https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... urter-beef. Everything went well in this batch and though I think I prefer pork franks, like I said in the Kosher Beef sausage post, I had a 30 pound beef clod that became Kosher sausage and all beefs franks. Here they are pre and post smoke. They are quite tasty and the first family dinner will be tonight with some home baked beans and cole slaw
ImageImage
Bob K

Re: Frankfurter-All Beef

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 23, 2022 19:05

Those look great Scott, sheep casings? That was hellofa deal on the beef!
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 21:22

Yes, sheep 24-26 mm. And I didn't get a single break/blowout....first time for that
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 01:37

could you share at what temperature you made your emulsion greetings
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:23

Sure, sorry for the delayed response. I'm not sure what my final temp was but it was below 48°F.

To give an idea, the meat farce was fully ground through the 1/8 inch plate and frozen the night before. I set it out on the counter in the morning to soften things up. The meat never really stuck into a block but remained somewhat separated even as it was frozen. Once I started emulsifying, I measured the meat temp early on to be about 35°F. I was able to run the chopper for a good 8-10 minutes (sorry I didn't time it, just watched the batter). At one point nothing further seemed to occur to the consistency of the meat so I added the water, direct from the refrigerator tap...so no ice. That loosened things up and enabled the consistency to change some more. So I kept things running, took a reading and saw that it was 45°F and kept going a bit longer until everything was blended and as homogenous as it seemed to want to get.

I took my queue from how emulsified the meat was instead of at what temp. The only reason I took temp readings was to be certain I was not going too far. I'm not sure what the correct approach; (1) emulsify until a specific temp is reached, or (2) look for a result and be sure not to exceed breaking temps. My gut tells me the latter, but I must admit it wasn't until answering this question that I gave this any thought.

My biggest issues are overtaxing the chopper which definitely occurs over 10 lbs and meat climbing up the side of the bowl and flinging all over the place which even using two hands to scrape...I cannot completely prevent
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 16:11

Scogar

I appreciate your comments, a few days ago I made a batch of sausage but the emulsion was gritty I took it to 12 ºC I think that it was the mistake, the good thing was that it was a batch of 1.5 kg. On Sunday I will make 5 kg I hope everything goes well I will work the emulsion to 4ºC
greetings from Mexico
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 17:17

Greetings jym571 - 12° does seem to be pushing it further than I wanted to go, but I googled "what temp does meat emulsion break" and I know there are many references out there including our site. Here is a reference...https://meatsci.osu.edu/node/130. I'm sure other members can give you better info, but I also have a bit of trouble with getting the emulsions to the smoothness I want. It seems that there is some secrets to be revealed in these types of documents
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 23:39

Scogar

my mistake was confusing the temperature of the pork emulsion with the temperature for beef but the differences are clear to me as soon as I make the next batch of sausages I will inform you how they turn out
greetings