Kiełbasa Kminkowa – Caraway Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 07, 2022 06:12

Caraway imparts distinct earthy flavours and a recognizable sharp aroma. You either love it or hate it! It's an old world spice that has been cultivated in Europe for hundreds of years. It's used in variety of Polish dishes and breads, and can be used to make a statement in a sausage. Much like garlic, when making “kiełbasa kminkowa”, you can adjust the amount of caraway to suit your personal taste. I used only 2.5 grams per kilogram of meats and the caraway taste and aroma comes through very well. I have seen other recipes that use as much as 10 or even 15 grams, but don't start with such gargantuan amounts. The caraway can be ground as in this recipe, or half of the amount can be added as whole seeds. It's delightful in a sandwich and enhances cooked dishes, especially those with cabbage.

Image Image

Meats
Class I pork, 40%
Class IIb fatty pork, 45%
Class III pork, 15%
Ingredients
16g non-iodized salt
2g Cure # 1
2.5g ground caraway
2g black pepper
2g onion powder
2g sugar
3g fresh garlic
100ml iced water
Instructions
1. Cut the the three classes of meats into 3-4cm cubes and keep seperate. Pre-cure meats for two or three days in covered containers in the fridge.
2. Grind Class I pork through 12mm plate, the Class II pork through 7mm plate, and class III through the 3mm plate.
3.Take the Class III ground meats, add all the spices and approximately 40% of the water. Mix thoroughly until you achieve a sticky but still loose paste. Add this to the other ground meats and mix well. Add the rest of the water gradually as you mix.
4. Stuff into large diameter, 42mm+ hog casings and form into a continuous coil. Condition the sausage overnight in fridge or up to two hours at room temperature.
5. Preheat your smoker to 160F(72C), let it cool, and load your sausage. Open top and bottom dampers wide and warm sausage at 110F(45C) for one hour. Smoke for 3 hours at 145-155F (63-68C).
6. Finish by poaching at a temperature of 175F(80C) until the center of the sausage reaches 154F(68C). Cool with water.
7. Hang sausage to cool and bloom at room temp and refrigerate after approx. 3 hours.
Smacznego!
To learn more about traditional Polish sausage making join the Polish Sausage Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/564056007388967
Bob K

Re: Kiełbasa Kminkowa – Caraway Sausage

Post by Bob K » Mon May 09, 2022 14:58

That looks and sounds good! And I would agree on moderation Caraway can be overpowering if too much is used.