Kielbasa with Higher than "Normal" Cooking (Kiełbasa Swojska z Podkarpacia)

jcflorida
User
User

Kielbasa with Higher than "Normal" Cooking (Kiełbasa Swojska z Podkarpacia)

Post by jcflorida » Mon Oct 24, 2022 18:57

Recently, Chris posted in the Polish Sausage Club facebook group a recipe for "Kiełbasa Swojska z Podkarpacia -Homemade Kiełbasa from the Carpathian Foothills" here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5640560 ... 823475842/

Chris attributed the recipe to a Bogumił Sztuczka on a Polish facebook group

I was intrigued by the process that calls for drying without smoke at 100ºC, (212ºF) for about an hour, then smoking at 90ºC. (194ºF) for 2 hours. The spice profile sounded good, so I made a small test batch (with visions of much dripping/rendering fat). The recipe/process that I used along with any deviations from Chris' post follows.

Meats and spices:
90% fatty pork shoulder
10% pork belly (Original recipe - 10% jowl)
Dry ingredients per Kg meat
15g salt
2g cure # 1
4g coarsely ground pepper
3g granulated garlic
1g dried chives (Original 2 to 4 grams bear garlic)
2g marjoram (original 1 to 3 grams)
2.5g mustard seeds (original 1 to 4 grams)
2g Sugar
1g all spice

Procedure:
- Cut meat into small (1/2") pieces, mixed in salt and cure and refrigerated 2 days.
- Chilled to 31-32ºF and ground using 3/8" (~10mm) plate. (pic)

- Chilled again and mixed with rest of spices in Kitchenaid for 3 minutes on lowest speed. (pics)

- Original recipe called for large diameter hog casing, but I had a leftover piece of 28-32mm, so used it. The chunky mince made it a bit awkward to stuff in the small casing, but got it done and formed 3 small loops. (pic)

- Preheated vertical propane smoker aiming for 212ºF, got it steady at about 207º and hung the sausage loops without smoke. Recipe says dry at 212º until fat starts to drip (about an hour). As every time I open the smoker door, the temperature drops a lot, I just waited for the hour and declared it good enough.
- Reduced temperature to 191º and added smoke.
- Took a little over 2 hours for the internal temperature to reach 155ºF. (pic)

- Removed from smoker and put in a bucket of ice water until cool then hung to dry for a couple of hours.

- Finished sausage. (pics)

As to fat rendering, there was very little. There was an empty water pan below the sausage in the smoker and it had a few drips, but not much. The texture of the sausage was a bit "chunky" probably due to the relatively large grinding plate. Fat definition in the finished product was pretty good and it was not dry or crumbly at all.

The advantage of this process is that it took 3 hours to cook to completion as opposed to probably twice that long to dry at low temperature and gradually increase temperature during smoking.

The flavor was excellent and two hours was adequate smoking for my tastes. I will make again and probably make a couple of small changes. Firstly, reduce the grinding plate to 8mm, or maybe separate the meat and fat and grind the meat 6mm and fat 10mm. I will increase the marjoram to the 3 grams and use large diameter casings. As to bear garlic, it is available on EBay and Amazon for $10-$15. Depends on my mood whether I'll invest and try to discern a significant flavor difference.
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Re: Kielbasa with Higher than "Normal" Cooking (Kiełbasa Swojska z Podkarpacia)

Post by Bentley Meredith » Tue Oct 25, 2022 14:29

That is some good looking stuff!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Fri Oct 28, 2022 09:34

Nice write up and thanks for sharing your experience. it looks great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 24, 2022 02:08

Thanks for the detailed description of the process. The sausage looks amazing. Dispelled any myths that sausage needs to be smoked at low temps and gradually raised over several hours. The recipe you followed is how sausages were made by farmers' in Poland in earlier times. Often no nitrites were used because there were no safety concerns with the high temps. The sausage is especially delicious when you bite into it right out of the smoker.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Sat Dec 31, 2022 22:08

Since posting this a few months ago, this kielbasa has become our favorite smoked sausage. Just made the fourth batch last week. The only change was adding one more g/Kg marjoram and picking up some bear garlic on Amazon. Stuffed about 5 pounds in 26-28mm sheep casings (hot dogs?) and 2+ pounds in 50mm dried pasted hog casings for use as hors d'oeuvres at Christmas Eve and New Years "events". Just posting a few pictures

This is 2 grams the bear garlic we got:

Kielbasa hot dogs:

50mm casings:

Hot dog on fresh rye bun with kraut and mustard:

And on a cracker:

Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Thu Jan 05, 2023 00:35

Great writeup, thanks!