Braunschweiger

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Braunschweiger

Post by Rick » Sat Mar 04, 2023 20:03

Getting ready to make some Braunschweiger. In looking over the Reytek recipe, I don't see anything in regards to a parboil of the meat and liver.

Is it imperative that the meat and liver be parboiled before grinding? If so, how long do you parboil, and can both be parboiled at the same time? Thx
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Braunschweiger

Post by Scogar » Sun Mar 05, 2023 14:45

This recipe came from Marianski’s German Sausage book, but it is identical to the one on https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... nschweiger. I used venison liver and the only reason I deviated from 50:50 was because my packages of meat weighed what they did, and I didn’t think the deviation would make much of a difference. (it didn't)

I first scalded the liver in hot water for about 5 min stirring frequently and then cooled immediately in cold water and once cool allowed it to drain. First the liver and then the fat were separately ground through the 3 mm (1/8") plate and put the liver into the buffalo chopper. Whilst emulsifying the liver, I added the salt, spices, and onions. Once the onions disappeared into the emulsion, I added the fat, emulsified that, and mixed everything together.

The farce was stuffed loosely into pork middles, the ends tied with twine to make a hanging loop and cooked in water at 80°C (176° F) for 90 min reaching an internal meat temperature of 70°C (160° F) . The sausages were next cooled in cold water and allowed to air dry hanging in the refrigerator overnight. The next day they were cold smoked for 5 hours over oak and hickory.

grumpbaldguy

Re: Braunschweiger

Post by grumpbaldguy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 21:59

I've tried both ways and scalding the liver first seems to work much better.