grinders

revid
User
User

grinders

Post by revid » Tue Jun 12, 2012 13:28

hey guys whats the difference between a #12 grinder and a #22 grinder?I was going to buy this one at costco,
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US,
but then saw this one,
http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Electr ... B002HJBMTA
at a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any of these and want to share their opinions? I already got burnt with a bad purchase and don't want it to happen again. Any advise would be great.thanks
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Re: grinders

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Jun 12, 2012 14:16

The difference is plate size diameter. The larger the diameter, the greater the surface area for grinding = bigger loads done faster. If you plan on doing large volumes, get a 'bigger' grinder, but I reckon most home sausage makers can make do with 10-12 variety, sometimes an 8.
I'm not familiar with the grinder you linked to. My recommendations: LEM, Cabelas

Grinder size----Plate diameter
#5--- 2 1/8"
#8 --- 2 1/2"
#10/12---2 3/4"
#20/22--3 1/4"
#32 --- 3 7/8"
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jun 12, 2012 16:28

Let's look a plate diameter and plate area.
2.125= 3.5 sq. in
2.5=4.9 " "
2.75=5.9 " "
3.25=8.3 " "
3.875=11.8 ""
Ross- tightwad home cook
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18

hey guys did you have or can you look at those grinder links and let me know what you think before I order?
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44

in my opinion you can't have too big of a grinder. Look at the diameter of the tube you drop your meat in and the diameter of the plate. The bigger they are the easier it is to feed meat and the more meat you can grind per hour. That makes for quick grinding times. If you never grind more than 20 lbs of meat at a time the #12 will do just fine, but if you work in larger batches get the #22.
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 13:00

Yup. I agree with Big Guy. And he's got 2 of them! Just be sure to save a few bucks for a decent vertical stuffer. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Jun 14, 2012 14:58

I've got a #12 Cabela's, the 3/4 horsepower model. It was pricey for me, but it chews up meat as fast as I can drop it in and I'm extremely happy with it. I've never seen the one on Amazon that you're looking at, but I am not well traveled in the grinder world. (I did notice that someone is selling what seems to be the same one on Amazon for even less.) I bought the Cabela's because virtually everbody loves them among the sausage bretheren.

One thing to be suspicious of is horsepower claims. They are all over the map. Go with what people who grind meat all the time recommend.

Good advice from Chuckwagon - I'm still saving for the vertical stuffer, and the sooner you (and I!) get one, the better. Meanwhile, the Cabela's has this stuffing tube gizmo that is a plastic augur within a long stuffing tube. It cleans out almost all the meat when you're done, which is nice. But it's awkward to stuff from a grinder for a number of reasons. Buty you didn't ask about stuffers so I won't go into that...........

Good luck!
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 15:22

Cabonaia wrote:I've got a #12 Cabela's, the 3/4 horsepower model. It was pricey for me, but it chews up meat as fast as I can drop it in and I'm extremely happy with it....

...the Cabela's has this stuffing tube gizmo that is a plastic augur within a long stuffing tube. It cleans out almost all the meat when you're done, which is nice. But it's awkward to stuff from a grinder for a number of reasons.
I'm quite happy with my cabelas #12 as well. good, reliable grinder!
Regarding the stuffing attachments- the auger speed attachment makes the process bearable, but after doing multiple batches, I grew weary of even the speedy auger.
For larger batches (over 5 pounds) I used my kirby cannon water stuffer-which will now hold about 17 pounds. For smaller jobs, this little Grizzly 5-pounder works quite well. BOTH are so much more efficient (i.e. EASIER) than using the grinder to stuff. Also, both take about HALF the time to stuff than the grinder attachments.

Kevin
Grizzly 5-pound stuffer:
The 'old' smaller Kirby (this model did about 10-12 pounds). I've replaced the main tube with a larger howitzer-sized one that increases it's capacity to 16-17 lbs. This baby is FAST!
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 16:19

I would take a close look at the Cabela or LEM professional quality grinders.
Godspeed!

Bob
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Grinder search is hopefully over

Post by angelwannaB » Fri Sep 21, 2012 07:10

After days of contemplating which grinder to buy I finally ordered the Lem. .35 hp #8. It has the Big Bite auger and from watching the review videos on YouTube it should be "bad enuff" for my new hobby. My first and only batch so far of sausage I made from my KitchenAid was pure mush, tasted good but looked awful. Actually reminded me of sponge, resulted, I think, from me floor boarding to the highest speed my mixer old go :shock: and that was a 10! Newbie here, live and learn huh!

I decided to take the advice of Chuck and others who recommended going with either Cabelas or Lem. Kept watching amazon and eBay each day and today the Lem popped up for $180... Compared to the listed of $380 I jumped on it. I feel more confident and can hardly wait to try get busy grinding the 2 butts in my freezer. :lol:

Looking forward to some tasty sausages and ideas from all the folks on this forum. Will let everyone know how it performs. God bless y'all :cool: