Charcuterie Fridge

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Charcuterie Fridge

Post by JerBear » Mon Jun 11, 2012 05:39

Picked up this fridge from craigslist this afternoon. Can't wait to get it scrubbed down and reedy for some curing...

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 06:29

Way to go Jer! :mrgreen: Now your gettin' down to business. Yell if I can give you a hand with anything. I'd sure like to see you make some great salami for your pals.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jun 11, 2012 23:11

I'm super exicted, I need to scrub it down and then get down to some drilling for hygrometer and thermometer wires but I can't wait to get started. If nothing else it's a lot of extra room for brining, my wife's pleased to get that stuff out of her fridge!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 04:10

Hey me too! Heard wind of a friend remodeling her kitchen and made inquiry...scored a very decent fridge for free! Turning it into a incubation/drying chamber was just too easy. I'll post pics.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 04:37

Grrrreat! You guys will be in serious competition for Swifts and Morrell in no time at all! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:03

I'd like more info on these type of drying chambers but need to know what you guys do to circulate the air. Friend of mine in the soda business says there is no way to vent out moisture. Help.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:26

A small fan and small dehumidifier/humidifier with adjustable settings is all you would need. Our aging room is 10ft x 10ft and a $190 humidifier keeps it in balance for us.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:27

Get a cheapcomputer fan - I got one for $5 at Frys. Then I wired it to an old cell phone charger. Plug it in and you're done. For ventilation, you can just drill some large holes in the side of the fridge.

I actually didn't put a fan or holes in my fridge because I open it all the time, but I live in a dry climate. The computer fan set-up is what I used in an egg incubator.

Hope this helps - if you want pictures, let me know.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:43

Thanks, as pics would help a lot. PM or post. Here in WNY, we have very humid climate and I'm worried how it'd dry out without some fan or venting. As usual, somebody always come thru.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 00:15

Hey Nuy,
There is some pretty good info by Mac Stanuszek at this link: http://www.sausagemaker.com/tutorials/c ... amber.html
Our own `Uwanna` has posted his excellent know-how at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5317
And if you wish to understand more about the why, how, and what of the matter, then study the recommendations and resources given in this forum topic: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5099

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Jun 20, 2012 18:50

Hi Nuynai - good posts from CW. I can't find a good picture of my particular fan setup.

But the details of the charcuterie fridge are really well laid out in the post CW referenced.

The fan detail I was talking about has to do with supplying power to a cheapo ($5) computer fan, which you can't just wire directly into 110 AC, your typical wall outlet. I think any old castoff cell phone charger will do. Clip off the end of the cable that goes into the phone, strip back the insulation, and then twist it together with the wire coming from the fan's cable. Now plug your fan into wherever you are plugging in your other stuff.

A cheap computer fan is nice, because it doesn't move to much air. Some people wire their fan to come on and off with the humidifier, which makes sense because then it is not on too often and over-drying your sausage. Maybe someone can show how to do that as I have not thought it through.