First cold smoking attempt - advice needed

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

First cold smoking attempt - advice needed

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 17:39

So I finally bought an Amazn smoker and lit 'er up with a load of pellets. It faithfully produced a lovely thin stream of smoke for hours, though for how many hours I don't know because I fell asleep. I expected to get 11 hours, but I am guessing I got maybe half that. Too much draft probably. But that's another topic.

In the morning my andouille and hot links were 2/3's smoked, because I had not dried them properly to form a pellicle all the way around. They sat on a pan, and their backsides were moist going into the smoker and picked up ZERO smoke. :cry: That was Sunday morning. They've been in the fridge ever since.

My question is: can I dry them properly and stick them back into the smoker for a second go? I made them with the proper amount of cure #1.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 06, 2012 17:44

Why not? cold smoking was traditionally a multiday process during which the fire would go out to be started the next day. But I question if it is cool enough for cold smoking.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 18:20

Ross that makes perfect sense - thanks! Where I live it usually gets into the 50s each night, so I can cold smoke then.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Re: First cold smoking attempt - advice needed

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Aug 06, 2012 18:45

Cabonaia wrote: I expected to get 11 hours, but I am guessing I got maybe half that. Too much draft probably. But that's another topic.
Too much draft will certainly accelerate the pellet-burning. They can ignite & suddenly your small stream of smoke can become a small fire. :shock: I lost a batch of summer sausages that 'fatted out' when, unattended, this occurred.

My issues have been not getting ENOUGH air at times, causing the A-maze-n to go out.

I cold-smoked bacon overnight (in the upper 50's) & it came out just fine.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 20:18

Hi,
I smoke sausages, bacon, prosciuttini mostly over several days with no problems at all.
The csabai turns out really good smoked, dried overnight and repeat several times.
I cold smoke biltong over 3 days as well, as long as you have cured everything properly.
Good luck,
Jan.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 20:24

Kevin - thanks for sharing your helpful notes. I am using the Amazn in a water smoker without the water. There is a lot of air space at the bottom. For the second go round I need to monitor what's happening along the way. Might have to come up with some jerry-rigged way to reduce the air flow.