WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21

Hi Chuckwagon, I would like to participate in this project as well. :grin:
Ron
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 15:47

Count me in!
Dick

Never quit learning!
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 18:16

I'm in too CW. Sounds fun and indeed educational.

DZ
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 18:34

I have to pull out before we get even started. Its harvest season now, then its hunting season then I go on my southern sojourn. just too busy. :roll:
Col. Big Guy
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Aug 18, 2012 04:53

Your "Project B" sure is tempting, and I could sure use the good practices that I'll learn. I'm not quite to the point where I want to commit to the equipment needed to properly ferment sausages, but I'm sure there'll be a gentle introduction.

...so, yeah, I'm in. :mrgreen:
...oughta be great! :idea:
WooHoo! WooHoo! WooHoo! :!:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 05:12

supplies ordered - shipped today!

Went with Allied Kenco - they sell a smaller "home pack" of sheep casings.

●Stuff Dia. Approx. 3/4 to 7/8"
●Will stuff 15 lb. of meat
●100 ft. in length

$13.52 plus shipping.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/casing-sheep ... epack.aspx

It's the shipping that kills me. Ordered the other casings CW spec'd, plus some hog ring pliers. They have a lot of stuff.

Greatly looking forward to our first product!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 07:25

Hi Guys,
Don`t worry too much about the timeline. This is YOUR forum and we can work around some of these things. The only reason I would like folks to register is so those who choose not to participate cannot later make remarks or criticize anyone's sausage or techniques. Shucks, only participants can make remarks or criticize El Ducko... ooops... uhh... I mean... another member! We can close the registration after a reasonable period of time, and then start the project. If you`re on a lake with a fishin` pole and a beer, heck... you can just miss that week`s particular sausage. Catch up when you get back or skip that particular sausage, although each sausage will have something different or unique about it - something new to learn. For example, one has sheep casing, one has hog casing. One has no casing at all, and one is stuffed into a "chub" casing. One is smoked, one is not. The grind on one is fine, another large. One is very lean, another is fatty. All differ in one way or another... and that`s how we learn. Photography will play a huge part in this project along with some real interaction among the participants. We`ll all gain experience... it`s a great teacher. But, it`s not the only teacher. We have folks on this forum who make superb, professional sausage that you can`t find anywhere else, let alone your neighborhood grocery. So, don`t worry too much about the timing. Just register so you can participate on all the parts of the project you can.

Years ago when I was learning the basics, I found that most ol` timers didn`t want to give up their secrets. Much of that still goes on today... but not on this site! Have you ever noticed that the members who stick around are the ones who help others the most? When I was a youngster, I would have given anything to have learned from some of the sausagemakers we have right here on our forum. I gleaned a lot from my Aunt - a professional butcher and sausage maker (charcuterier) from Lordes, France - who married into our family. She was a charming registered nurse who not only ran our cattle ranch, but shared all her knowledge. Her boudin became quite legendary in several western states. She also tried to pound into my head that the real secret of this ol` life is in helping your fellows. I am just astounded to see how many "old hands" on our site are willing to participate and share information with those folks who are just beginning. My hat is off to you folks.

I suggest we don`t rush this project, especially once we get into it. Casings are expensive and so is meat. We also need a little time to digest the information and the lessons we learn, as well as the goodies we make.

Col. Big Guy, we are not letting you off the hook. Just join in when you are able. We`re keeping you registered so you`ll be able to comment whenever you can. We need your experience and suggestions along with several other ol` timers. BTW, did you folks know that Big Guy turns 173 this week? :shock: Yeah, and he spent a couple of those years just cleaning his old grinder in Ontario!
And Hamncheese... we want you with us. You can miss a sausage or two if you have to, then go back later and read the posts and catch up. You're not off the hook either!

One more thing folks. Please remember this project "B" is geared toward the novice beginner. If you are more advanced, please be patient with others who are not.

So, "Yee Haw" Wranglers! :mrgreen: It looks like we have a project going. Don't send for all your equipment and supplies yet. Let's have a discussion about prices and quality etc. That's part of the reason we'll be doing this project together. Good luck folks! Here`s the roster so far:

1. Ssorllih...(Maryland)
2. Big Guy...(Ontario)
3. Butterbean...(Georgia)
4. ajwillsnet...(Victoria B.C. Canada)
5. Hamncheese...(Pennsylvania)
6. Cabonaia...(Morgan Hill, California)
7. jcb...(Connecticut)
8. Two-mn-kids...(Baine, Minnesota)
9. IdaKraut...(Sandpoint, Idaho)
10. Redzed...(Vancouver Island, Canada)
11. Bubba...(Brookwood, Alabama)
12. DLFL...(Florida)
13. Dave Zac... (Bristol, New York)
14. El Ducko...(Texas)
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Sat Aug 18, 2012 13:03

Im in, please.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:05

Well CW, I guess if Big Guy is still spry enough at 173 to clean his grinder, I ought to be able to keep up.

Happy Birthday Big Guy!!!!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:26

Put me on the list - I'm in my busy season (soccer officiating) but I need to make some more sausage and the types mentioned are right up my alley. I do my best to keep up.
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

For the math challenged among us

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:41

Most of the recipes on this forum are standardized at a kilogram of meat but most packages come from the stores weighing anything but 1 kilogram.

The weight is alway expressed in pounds and decimals of a pound. Example 3.45 pounds.

1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds.

To convert the pounds to kilograms simply divide 3.45 by 2.2 and get 1.57 kilograms.

Now you can multiply all of the other ingredients in the recipe by 1.57 and use the entire piece of meat.
In all of your calculation it is likely that you will get several digits after the decimal for example: 3.45 divided by 2.2 =1.5681818. 1.57 is close enough. plus or minus .01 in your calculation won't make a noticable difference
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:46

I will make those for which I am equiped and supplied. Not quite ready to purchase some of the more rarely used supplies.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Aug 18, 2012 20:12

Hello everybody.

I'm new, Mr. Chuckwagon, You ARE the best.

Please take me in, I used to make fresh sausage only so far.
I cannot start soon, but will catch up.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 21:12

Good goin' there Mr. Hill! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Aug 18, 2012 23:52

ssorllih wrote:The market price for lean hogs today was 75.86.
So..... how many should I buy for "Project B"? We are starting at just after butchering, right? :mrgreen:
(Jeez, I hope not.)

Sorry. ...just practicing my bold and italics and whatnot so I can be
expressive
during "Project B."
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.