How To Build A Home Made Curing Chamber... By Uwanna

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 15, 2012 08:06

Thanks to the replies everyone. I initially placed my humidifier (same one as Wally and Nick have on the upper shelf and have now placed it on the lower level) I have now determined that my very small fan does maintain the temp and humidity levels more constant than when it's not running. I have it on a timer to go on for 30 minutes and then rest for one hour. It's placed in a way that it does not blow directly on any of the meat products.

Will keep you informed and post some pics in a few days.

Cheers,

Chris
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:44

Well (blush :oops: ), looks like I have to eat my words. Here's the best explanation I've seen of why wet air is lighter (less dense) than dry air: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air

"The addition of water vapor to air (making the air humid) reduces the density of the air, which may at first appear counter-intuitive.

"This occurs because the molecular mass of water (18 g/mol) is less than the molecular mass of dry air (around 29 g/mol). For any gas, at a given temperature and pressure, the number of molecules present is constant for a particular volume (see Avogadro's Law). So when water molecules (vapor) are added to a given volume of air, the dry air molecules must decrease by the same number, to keep the pressure or temperature from increasing. Hence the mass per unit volume of the gas (its density) decreases."

Sorry about that. ...but I still say, a small fan ought to help keep the air in there well-mixed. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 23:31

Ducko
No biggie, takes a bigger duck to admit it, although Ross was probably grinning ear to ear. :lol:
I still say, for my application, no fan... :wink:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 16, 2012 00:16

Simply consider the size of a fan needed to completely mix air and a little smoke. It doesn't take much.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 05:54

Hi,
I was just advised by an elctrical wizard friend of mine that you can buy fan speed controllers for 12Volt computer fans on E bay. Adjustable from virtually nil to normal speed.
Made in China of course, only about $ 4.00 incl postage. Crazy!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Jan.