[CAN] Unclebuck's steak spice

unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

[CAN] Unclebuck's steak spice

Post by unclebuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 07:29

Here is a spice blend that I have found to be rather to my(and friends)liking on grilled Alberta beef :wink:

1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp freshly cracked pepper
2 tbsp coarse or kosher salt
1 tbsp dried red chilies
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tbsp garlic powder

Place a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add the coriander, mustard and cumin seeds. Toast the seeds, shaking the pan frequently, until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Cool. Put all the ingredients into a spice grinder and grind until pulverized. Store in an air-tight container or a lidded spice shaker. It also makes an excellent rub on a brisket.
Last edited by unclebuck on Fri Mar 25, 2011 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:41

Unclebuck; I see allot of chiefs on the Food Chanel toasting spices the way your doing it, sounds like a good combination of spices to me. Thanks for sharing it with us. I will give it a try, If I can find a steer named Albert :wink:
Trosky
Marz o tym, jakbys` mial wiecznie zyl, zyj jakbys` mial umrzec dzis
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 15, 2011 14:32

Troski,
I have a friend that raises grass fed Angus beef. He will cheerfully name a steer Albert or a heifer Alberta and send it to the butcher for cutting and freezing. He direct sells locally and knows what his product is worth.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 20:11

No matter where beef comes from, it is recognized that Alberta, Canada has the best beef in the world, including Kobe beef!!!!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 01:48

I agree Buck... and I'm an ol' cattle rancher! I spent a summer in Alberta and enjoyed tasting some of your cow critters - the best anywhere! You also have the best rodeo I've ever seen! I'm whippin' up a pickup load of your spice mixture tonight!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 21:05

What is your judgement on the outcome of the spice? I am grilling up a couple of "Alberta" rib steaks tonight for the "war department" and myself, with baby red potatoes and clover honey glazed parsnips & carrots. I have the privilege of having a friend who is an apiarist. His honey is purchased by the large distributors to "bring up the quality of their product for export." My take home pail(5kg) is next to free- a box of beer that we share in true Alberta fashion!!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 02:40

Hey Buck,
Did you ever stumble into a place in Calgary called the "Ranchman's Cookhouse & Dancehall"?

By the way. When you get a chance, try this: :smile:

[USA] Chuckwagon`s "Oaxaca Whammy"
(Southwest Seasoning)

2 tblspns. paprika
2 tblspns. garlic powder
1 tblspn. onion powder
1 tspn. cumin
1/2 tspn. cayenne pepper
1 tspn. dried tarragon
1 tblspn. dried oregano
1 tblspn. dried thyme
1 tblspn. dried basil
1 tspn. salt
1 tblspn. ground black pepper

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D