Where There's Smoke...

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Where There's Smoke...

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 06:44

Here's a great spot to talk about SMOKERS and LIQUID SMOKE.

By the way,

Nice job Steelchef. The sausages you entered in this month's contest look terrific. I can vouch for them because I had a few for dinner a few nights ago, then again this morning for a breakfast sandwich. It is really a nice recipe. Tasty and highly recommended!

Hmmm... did you folks know that Steelchef said he can't dial 911 because there is no button on his phone for the number eleven! :shock:

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 08:31, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 07:56

I'm glad that you enjoyed the recipe Dad.

For the benefit of the rest of our members, I feel it necessary to reveal that 'Mr Chuckwagon' fails to put the one (1) in front of his published age. :grin:

Oh, yeah, about the eleven button, catch up old dude, I recently purchased a 'smart phone. It has an eleven button on it. :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 08:02

I forgot to include Trosky and Siara in my thank you's for getting me up to speed in posting photos.

My sincere thanks is extended, herewith. It is a big accomplishment as I have battled several other formats and providers for a long time.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Fri Mar 11, 2011 18:38

steelchef, if I do not use liquid smoke :wink: what is the alternative to this in your interesting recipe?
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 22:21

Siara,
I am deeply offended! :mrgreen:
I avoided liquid smoke like the plague for many years, assuming that it was a chemical. I recently discovered that it is a simple extract of charcoal. Water + hickory charcoal, reduced to an extract. Nothing more!
So, now the answer to your question. The alternative would be to smoke it naturally until done to your liking. :razz:
Seriously, due to our long winters, liquid smoke is the only practical alternative available. I do have an acquaintance with a very elaborate, heated facility but he such a pain in the *ss that I can`t be bothered.
It`s never my first choice but obviously found its way into the recipe during a long forgotten cold spell.
Give it a try `Gangsta!` You may like it?
Cheers
Colin
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Sat Mar 12, 2011 16:39

It's OK steelchef, I do not mind liquid smoke :wink: Just asking in case one does not use it, how do you recommend to smoke this sausage.
Liquid smoke is another subject, and even if I did not used it so far, I'm open to try in future. :cool:
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18

Siara,

Forgive me for not replying to your last message. The answer is as stated in my original reply.

"The alternative would be to smoke it naturally until done to your liking."

I have never applied natural smoke to this recipe so it would be an experiment for either of us.

The recipe was designed to deal with our seasonal lack of smoking facility. If I were to substitute natural smoke it would definitely be hickory, as that is the base of all Liquid Smoke.

We have had a record amount of snow this winter. My smoker is about 190 CM and is completely covered. It will be 6 - 8 weeks before any smoking will be done.

Your inquiry has inspired me to consider trying a batch that would exclude the liquid smoke and try a natural cure.

Cheers!

Colin
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 17, 2011 15:17

Liquid smoke has its place in cooking. I like to make a marinade of vinegar, black bean sauce , soy sauce, bacon oil, and liquid smoke for boneless chicken cut into long strips and skewered. I bake it with the skewers laid across a roasting pan so that they don't lay in their own juice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Thu Mar 17, 2011 22:49

ssorllih wrote:Liquid smoke has its place in cooking. I like to make a marinade of vinegar, black bean sauce , soy sauce, bacon oil, and liquid smoke for boneless chicken cut into long strips and skewered. I bake it with the skewers laid across a roasting pan so that they don't lay in their own juice.
That sounds awesome Ross! Could you provide a little more info on proportions?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 02:20

Ditto........
Please. Uh.... perty please? :lol:
Liquid smoke has its place in cooking. I like to make a marinade of vinegar, black bean sauce , soy sauce, bacon oil, and liquid smoke for boneless chicken cut into long strips and skewered. I bake it with the skewers laid across a roasting pan so that they don't lay in their own juice.
Wow, that sounds good! How about coming over to my place to cook dinner tonight? :mrgreen: That looks like a great recipe. Want to share it?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 18, 2011 04:43

Black bean sauce is costly so I use a couple of tablespoons, twice that much soy sauce and about that much vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of bacon oil and several shakes of liquid smoke. I bone out the chicken and cut the meat into long inch square strips and the thighs into about the same size usually about 3 piece from each and the drum they get just two pieces each. All the meat goes into a zipper freezer weight bag with the marinade and completely coated and turned often for a couple or three hours. The meat is then skewered one piece per skewer and then grilled or baked until firm to the thumb-finger squeeze test.
Note: bacon oil is what you get when the saved fat from frying cools and the various components separate and the oil lays on top. has to be room temperature for a day or two.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 05:19

Thanks a lot Mr Hill,

We will be doing this on the weekend. Can't wait!

The following link may help you to reduce the cost of making your own Black Bean Sauce. I've been making this for many years. It keeps for months in a sealed container, in the 'fridge.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia ... auce1.html

Fermented or preserved black beans can be purchased from nearly all Chinese markets for about $3.00/500g. I freeze the dried, fermented beans in small quantities for future use. They are usually quite heavily salted and contain a fair amount of ginger.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:29

Indeed! Thank you sir.
Wagonchuck
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 18, 2011 15:15

That recipe comes from a bar in the Philippines. When I was stationed there in the early 60's they would prepare a chicken this way and grill it over charcoal in a five gallon square oil can. They cut the skewers from the bamboo in the yard and sold the pieces for about fifteen cents USD. In those days a pack of cigarettes cost 12 cent USD in the exchange.

Steelchef, Thanks for the recipe and the source.
Different liquids can be used in place of the vinegar, lemon juice and water make it quite different, Chardonnay wine is good also, even in the marinade.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 15:29

Damn Ross,

You do bring back the memories. Although I am much younger than you :oops: I recall buying cigarettes for 15 cents a pack and gas for $.20/Gal.
(Old Chucky bought cigs for 2 cents a carton and gas was free.)

Good story. I was never in the military but have a great deal of respect for those of you who served.