Australian And New Zealand Resources Discusion

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 20:07

http://www.basicingredients.com.au/

Hi Members,
This in only for Australian members. The above company supplies everything required in Baking Bread etc.
The company has new owners now and ships Australia wide. The quality of their products is 110%, shipping very reasonable and their range is extensive , especially flours.
Regards,
Jan.
Smokin Don
User
User

Pickled Pork ? Australia

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Dec 29, 2012 06:04

I love Cajun red beans and rice made with smoked sausage, the Creole version calls for pickled pork and every since I made it it not as good without the pickled pork. It is just brined pork made with vinegar and spices and sets for 3 days. I read where pickled pork was readily available in Australia so wondered if some of you could tell me what it's like. From what I read it sounded maybe it was like our ham and called pickled pork since a brine is called a pickle. The pickled pork I make I don't use pink salt and it just tastes kinda sour in the red beans and rice. Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 07:34

Hi Don,
Pickled pork seems to be for sale in every butcher shop and supermarket. We don't buy it for one simple reason. It's full of chemicals for flavour, weight, colour, water, anything to increase the profit margin.
I can think of at least 7 or 8 different flavours for pickled pork, from pineapple, bacon, ham ,hawaiian, quickfruit (whatever that is) etc etc.
The next pickled pork I am going to make I will use the smoke and choke chicken/turkey 7-up cure.
The test chook I made just before Chruistmas was moist and had a great taste. My wife even liked it as well.
So Pork it will be, when I have some spare time.
Good Luck Mate,
Jan.
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Dec 29, 2012 08:17

Hello Jan, I knew you could answer this but thought some others may be interested too. It sounds like the ham in our groceries here, we don't have different flavors but it is pumped full of solution. Some people say how tender it is, for me you might as well eat boiled ham. I am lucky my butcher does smoked hams that are almost as good as the old fashioned. I have never cured a ham but the Kasslers ham I did was pretty darn good. If anyone is interested in the Creole pickled pork I will PM or post the recipe. I have about 8 to 10 inches of snow in the yard and some more coming down now. I will be busy till after New Years, rib eye steaks for Newr Years eve, and pork and kraut with drop noodles New Years day for good luck. Good luck to all for the New Year! Don
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:17

Don,
Post the recipe. The forum has a special section for it. I bet there will be quite a few members interested, including me.
I love all sorts of cooked beans, even if they make me extremely vocal.
Cheers Mate.
Jan.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

New Smoke Generator

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01

Hi Members,
A New Zealand company that manufactures a slightly different smoke generator just came on line.
Google www.smokai.com.
Never too old to learn. These units look the Bees knees as well. Good Quality according to a Kiwi Mate of mine.
Cheers,
JAN.

CW,
Can you shift this eventually in the Australian Recources section. We might even add New Zealand to it, if you agree, as we are so close.
Thanks,
Jan.
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:53

Jan I have used Amaze-n-Tube smoker. I have the 12 inch and get a good 4 hours of smoke from it. http://www.amazenproducts.com/ I see they have an Australian dealer too. Don
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New Smoke Generator

Post by el Ducko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:03

crustyo44 wrote: CW, Can you shift this eventually in the Australian Resources section. We might even add New Zealand to it, if you agree, as we are so close. Thanks, Jan.
Hey, Jan... how close is NZ? Years ago, my mother-in-law was on a tour group, flying from NZ to Australia, back in the four-engine Boeing 707/720 days. They had just leveled off, heading west, when the pilot came on the intercom.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have had to shut down one of our engines. However, please don't be concerned- - we have three more. Sit back, relax, and have another drink. We will be about an hour late, so the drinks are on us."

Mother-in-law ordered up another vodka and tonic, and just as she received it, the pilot came back on the intercom. "Please not to be concerned, but we have had to shut down one more of our engines. There is no problem- - we can fly just fine on two of our engines. Sit back, relax, and have another free drink. Unfortunately, we will be an additional hour late."

Mother-in-law's seatmate, who was a bit tipsy after finishing her third martini, looked at Mother-in-law and remarked, "Gosh, Ann, if we lose another couple of engines, we could be up here forever!"
:mrgreen:

CW: You should probably move this to the "Tall Tales" section, even though it is the sworn truth.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48

Hey Jan

I finally made it you old Low Lander

Well, i can vouch for the Smokai.
Works well with chips and pellets.
Another supplier that i don't think has been listed yet is http://www.sausagecasingsnaturally.com.au/
These have supplied me with the 3 good P's, Product, prices and posting. Very impressed with their service.

Cheers

Steve
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:29

Hi Kaaskop,
Good to see you on the forum. Your advise will be sought by many that would like to build a curing chamber. Don't forget to send your photo's, use Photobucket!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
crusty
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:17

Already posted Jan
I put them in the handy man section.

Cheers

Steve
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

New Zealand sausage book

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:33

Hi,
I just noticed on Amazon.com a New Zealand Book called, "BANGERS TO BACON" by Jeremy Schmid(t)?
Might have a collection of old and new proven familiy recipes and other useful information with a surname like that.
He might even be a throwback Clogwog!!
Does anybody own this book yet?
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Opti Start Starter Culture

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57

Hi,
This is more for Australian and New Zealand forum members. Opti Start Starter Culture is now available in Australia.
I have never hera of it before, it's made by RAPS GmbH in Germany. It claims Colour development after 24 hours and perfect results in 7 days.
To me that's ideal in my situation, sub-tropics, hot and humid weather etc etc.
It's available from www.sausagecasingsnaturally.com.au
Do any members on the forum have heard of it or have used it?
Any information is appreciated.
Thank you,
Jan.

Mr CW, Can you please shift this into our DOWN-UNDER section when convenient.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Jul 07, 2013 05:34

Another new supplier I've found: http://redbacktrading.com.au/
Good prices on cures.
Best wishes Ursula
Last edited by ursula on Sun Jul 07, 2013 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
kiwihunter
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kiwihunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 06:00

Theres a couple of traders on TradeMe one selling BIOBAK Ultra Plus Raw Sausage Cure Culture and another selling prague powder #2 for those interested