I cannot get #2 in New Zealand

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

I cannot get #2 in New Zealand

Post by markjass » Thu Dec 27, 2012 03:00

I understand the difference between cure #1 and #2. As I cannot get #2 in New Zealand does that mean that I cannot cure and air dry the meats and salami's that use cure #2. I am very conscious of food and hygiene standards and so I follow the NZ guidelines. These state that all uncooked comminuted fermented meat products must be cured.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:25

Understand that cure #2 is a combination of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate and salt. It may be called by another name in NZ.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 06:01

Mark, let's get a reply from our ol' buds Snagman and Crusty in Australia. Both are very knowledgeable and acquainted with this problem.

Snag-O, will you reply to this question and give Mark a hand? Your advice is much appreciated ol' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05

I have just emailed NZ Customs and the mpi (ministry of primary industries) and asked if my sister can bring in some cure #2 when she visits in March. Would hate to get my sis in trouble with the law.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:52

Hey Mark,
I just got a reply from Crusty in Australia. He will PM you and tell you the name of the product in NZ and where to get it as well.
Thanks Crusty! What a guy! What a guy! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:45

Mark,
Your sister can bring in Cure #2 into New Zealand without any trouble. You have to make sure that it is in original manufactures packaging and sealed as well. The passenger card on landing has to list it as well. Australia has the same regulations.
No doubt it will be inspected by Customs, as it should, but as long as it is listed everything will be OK.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01

Thank you for help
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34

Great News

I can bring in any cure mixture or ferment providing it is in its in its original package and vacuum packed. Stacey (Ministry of Primary Industries), who ended up with my inquiry, was very helpful. she sent me links to all the policies, standards, legal additives (some of them made me shiver) and laws that I would need if I were producing to a commercial standards.

She also sent me names and phone numbers of local gvt/council officials who could be of help (health and safety, small business set up schemes, how to set up commercial kitchens). I did not ask for or need thiss. but I can use these guidelines as my minimal standards.

Mark
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:26

Hey Mark,
That IS great news. Good luck pal. Let us know how ordering goes and please be sure to thank Stacie for all of us here at WD.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:25

Mark,
I just noticed a New Zealand book called "BANGERS to BACON" by Jeremy Schmid. on Amazon.com.
With a surname like that you certainly could tap into some European family recipes and methods.
He might even list suppliers in NZ as well, Who knows.
Good Luck,
Jan.
By the way, Your NZ regulations are the same as the AU ones, everything must be factory sealed with an original invoice and you're good to go.
I will also list this Book in the Aussie recources section, just if somebody is interested.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 22:39

I have a copy of the book. It is very good. He also has been very helpful.
kiwihunter
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kiwihunter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 08:51

I havnt found a source for #2 either but sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite are easy to obtain dym1E 4840.1-500g Sodium Nitrate Analytical reagent $43 each
>Lsodyn1e 4850.1-250g Sodium nitrite Analytical reagent $40 each
>
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:30

Hi,
You have salami and cured/dried meat manufacturers in NZ, they must use cure #2 or the local equivalent. All the cure #1 and 2 is imported by only 2 small companies here, all the other large distributors to butchers and smallgoods manufactures have their own brands which all contain sodium nitrite /nitrate with other additives that are dependant on what you intend to make.
I would ring the big boys to see what they recommend. Make sure you talk to the organ grinder and not the monkey.
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 13, 2013 15:24

kiwihunter wrote:I havnt found a source for #2 either but sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite are easy to obtain dym1E 4840.1-500g Sodium Nitrate Analytical reagent $43 each
>Lsodyn1e 4850.1-250g Sodium nitrite Analytical reagent $40 each
>
Enough to mix 4 kilos of cure#1
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 17:26

Hi Guys, Please allow me to throw in a couple of cents worth here. If you mix pure sodium nitrate or pure sodium nitrite, you must be aware of a few things. First of all, commercial suppliers place it on a salt carrier for us home sausage makers. Before C.L. Griffith developed his "Prague Powder", sodium nitrate would settle to the bottom of a salt barrel and uniform dispersal became impossible. People found meat products having inconsistent, unbalanced, and unreliable amounts of curing agent. In other words, you cannot simply mix it with salt and expect it to be consistent. If you live in a country where this product is not available and you must mix your own pure nitrate with salt, please be prudent enough to blend the elements with cold water and then mix it thoroughly with the meat. Next, be sure to mix it thoroughly with the meat. Lastly, be sure to mix it thoroughly with the meat! You know... uniformly! Consistently! Evenly! In other words, equally throughout the mixture. The following is a post I made to our buddy Ross Hill (ssorllih) some time ago. It explains a few details of Prague Powder.
In the early 1900s, Enoch Luther (E.L.) Griffith and his son, Carroll Luther (C.L.), opened a pharmaceutical business after C.L. graduated from the Northwestern University School of Pharmacology. Both men worked hard to establish Griffith Laboratories focusing on "bringing science to the food industry." During the 1920`s, the men worked on quick-curing meats using a new German meat-pumping process and something the Germans called Prague "salt". During the 30`s they developed the Prague Pickling Scale, a ham press, dry soluble seasonings, and specialized antioxidants. They also came up with an answer to a problem that had previously just plagued meat processors - how to intersperse sodium nitrate and nitrite into salt evenly with homogeneous and consistently unvarying uniformity. Before their invention (Prague Powder), the nitrates-nitrites would settle to the bottom of the barrels of salt during shipping etc. Uniformly mixing batches by local sausage makers was almost an impossibility. Then, C.L. Griffith had the idea that he could somehow "flash dry" or "freeze dry" the nitrates and nitrites onto salt crystals (German Prague Salts) on huge rollers. The product was enormously successful and his "Prague Powders" became a household word to small sausage-making concerns everywhere in the world. For the first time, it was possible to measure exactly the amount required. So, we see that the term Prague Powder was developed from German "Prague Salt". Today, it may be called, "Instacure", "Pink Salt", "Cure", or any number of names.
The company has continued to thrive over the decades, even producing products globally. As far as I know, their headquarters are still in the town of Alsip, Illinois. Griffith laboratories has made a remarkable contribution to our sausage-making craft over the years. Without their expertise, I would hate to think of how we would be managing nitrates and nitrites in smaller, hobbyist applications.
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon