Cellulose Casing HotDogs

fagesbp
Beginner
Beginner

Cellulose Casing HotDogs

Post by fagesbp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 15:12

First time making hotdogs. I used 3 pounds ground chuck and 2 pounds ground boston butt. We poached a few and smoked the rest. Definitely like the smoked ones better but they were more like skinless sausage.

The recipe:

Chuck

Butt spaghetti

All stuffed

Poached peeled

Smoked peeled
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 08, 2013 15:39

We could tell more about them if they were sliced on a long diagonal so that we could see the texture. If you didn't emulsify the mince then they would have the texture of sausage. As they are they look perfectly good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
fagesbp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by fagesbp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 16:02

No I didn't bother to emulsify them. I am happy with the way they came out as is. I just ground the meat twice through an 1/8" plate. I meant to take pics of slices and the finished product on my homemade buns with homemade chili but got carried away with the eating lol.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 08, 2013 16:17

If you don't keep a note book but always photograph your recipe board then your album on the computer is your record and electronic notebook.
Ross- tightwad home cook
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:28

Looks good enough to eat from what I see! The smoked really got a great color to them as well.

How do you skin the casings from the dogs? Always looking for a better idea.
ssorllih wrote:If you don't keep a note book but always photograph your recipe board then your album on the computer is your record and electronic notebook.
I agree, but be sure and backup your log on a regular basis! I lost about 3 years of notes, pics, and recipes last week due to a hard drive failure on the ONLY machine in the house that wasn't connected to the home server on auto backup... I thought it was backing up, but never made sure...

Charlie
fagesbp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by fagesbp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:13

just cut 1 end off the casing and they slide right out. If you use these don't prick the air bubbles as they split like nothing from any start. Makes them very easy to peel but they bust easily if you give them a start. You can see in the poached pic where I stuck in the probe the meat is protruding.

We backup all of our pics to an external hard drive.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:20

Good idea, :idea: using a dry erase board for the recipe. I always print out a copy of my recipe, then make notes on it, then have to type in the notes from the nasty, greasy thing. Keeping notes on a dry erase board seems like a better solution. Cap and wash off the marker after you are through.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.