Cure Calculations Questions

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Cure Calculations Questions

Post by jbk101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 22:53

Hello All,
Need some help and advise. I am wanting to try a new Bacon Cure Recipe and not sure which way to go on this one and want to be totally safe.

Here is the issue. The recipe is one I found on the Len Poli site for a "Honey Cured Bacon. This recipe calls for 21.0 grams of Cure #1 (1 TBS.) for 10lbs. of Pork Belly. When I use the Calculator it comes up that I should use 1/2 the amount that is listed on the recipe (the actual amount is 11.321 of cure #1 per the cure calculator).

So here are my Questions that I would appreciate input on.
1.) Is the Len Poli recipe incorrect and calling for too much Cure #1?
2.) Is it unsafe and/or safe to adjust the cure amount to what the cure calculator suggests here?
3.) If it's okay to adjust the cure downward then do I need to adjust the amount of salt that the recipe calls for? (the Recipe calls for 3/4 salt + the cure #1)

All help and input is appreciated,
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:27

The amount of cure in the mix has only a little to do with how much actually ends up in the meat. It would help to see the method used. Some recipes call for a rather large amount of salt and cure but allow all of the exudate to drain away which also carries away much of the salt and cure. I use rather limited amounts of saly, sugar and cure and a long cure time and wait for the meat to reabsorb the exudate. so the uptake of the salt and cure is quite different than exists in a draining type of cure schedule.
Send us the details of the application and treatment and we can formulate an answer to this problem.
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:43

Ross,
Here is the Link to the Honey Cured Bacon Recipe in Question. http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bac ... yCured.pdf

From what I am reading it does not call the removal of the exudate since it is placed into a container and covered and rotating it every 2 days or so. How I was planning on doing it was not using a container but vacuum sealing the pork belly in the curing brine. and turning it at least once a day.

Thanks,
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 16, 2013 03:03

I would leave it loose and accessible, you may cut it before it goes into the cure container. I don't believe vacuum sealing is appropriate. Rinsing will remove much of the extra cure mixture. and it should be alright.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Feb 16, 2013 05:04

That recipe calls for way more than the recommended safe level of nitrite.
Please refer to the "Processing Inspector's Calculations Handbook" for the recommended amount of nitrite for your project.
Please don't make the mistake that most people make, make sure you read the handbook closely and understand exactly what's meant by "dry cured", it doesn't mean simply a dry cure mix that's applied when making bacon short term, the way that most people do it. "Dry Cured" has a very specific meaning in the handbook.

If you have further questions, please send me a PM.
Godspeed!

Bob