electric heating element ideas

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 18, 2013 02:51

Running an oven heating element on 120 volts that was designed for 240 volts would be good on several counts ; It wouldn't ever get to a red heat. It would draw a lower current load, and with a bang bang controller would have longer on times at lower temperature.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 15:18

That mixed-up, foul fowl El QuackO wrote:
... put both the oven and our buddy, ol' Chuck E. Wagon inside, then shoot some ventilator holes. Hmmm. Do ya think all that hot air will overload the oven controller?
Huh-rumph! Ventilator indeed! Now listen here, you... you... cracked up quacker! Don`t make me use UPPERCASE! The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list. :twisted: The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas! :roll:

Breast Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Andele! Arriba! YeeHah!

Post by el Ducko » Mon Feb 18, 2013 17:42

As my brothers (both real tough guys) always told me, "Oh, yeah?" :razz:

Well, as Ross should have said, maybe you're the one running on 120 volts instead of 240. (Hey, Ross! ...a little help, here!)

Okay, Dude. ...sausages at twenty paces, high noon, local time. (We're in NC at the moment, which means I get a two-hour drop on you, ya varmint! Bwahahaha!)
Yer gonna git yer collagen blown off! Better load some extra garlic in those sausages- - yer a-goin' ta need it! :lol:

Fondly,
el Ducko
Fastest Duck in thuh West
inventor/producer of the CIA's** most feared weapon,
the remotely-piloted Sausage-Armed Drone

** - Culinary Institute of America ?
:mrgreen:

P.S. Brace yourselves, readers. I sense a topic split coming.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 18, 2013 18:26

Russ we gonna have to trip his circuit breaker before he starts a fire in the smokehouse.
Ross- tightwad home cook
fagesbp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by fagesbp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 22:08

I have a finned strip heater in my smoker like this.Finned Strip heaters at Zoro tools They come in alot of different sizes and wattages and voltages. I have the 1550 watt/120 volt 17-7/8" in my smoker that's about 24 x 24 x 24 and It will get very hot. I have gone up to 340 but stopped it there.