[AUSL] Paprika and Garlic Smoked Sausage

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

[AUSL] Paprika and Garlic Smoked Sausage

Post by snagman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 05:35

This recipe is the result of my personality disorder, the one which compels constant improvement, maybe one shared by some on this forum ! :shock:
The full flavour of Hungarian paprika is released by heating it in fat, not oil, not water. So first render some fat from your back fat, or use commercial lard. Around three tablespoons would be enough for the recipe quantity. Slow simmer, stirring, being careful not to burn it, until you smell the developing flavour. Stop it cooking further by adding the cold veal stock. This cooled liquid is then added to the rest of the spices mix. Process the fresh garlic through a blender, and simmer slowly, cool, add to liquid.

The recipe;
FOR 1 KG QUANTITY 70/30
20 G Salt
13G Fresh Garlic
1.7G Garlic powder
17g Sweet Hungarian Paprika
5g Hot Hungarian Paprika
0.5 g Cloves
0.5 g Nutmeg
1 tbs Icing sugar
1/2 Cup Veal Stock
2.5 g Cure #1

Cube the meat, mix spices in and store in fridge for three days. The vac pack works well if you have bags large enough.

Grind the pre frozen fat through an 8mm plate

The meats through a 3mm plate

Stuff into casings, here in ox runner

Cold smoke for three 8hr periods, nice thin smoke, a day between

Worth a try, very good also as a fresh grilled sausage also

I wrap the finished smoked sausages in paper, in the fridge for around four weeks to lose some moisture, then vac pack.
If you try, hope you like it, then tell your friends, if you don't, tell CW........

Gus
Last edited by snagman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 09:00

Hi Gus,
Looks good. I bet it tastes even better. This will have to wait untill winter is here as I noticed that you had the fridge part switched on in your smoker.
The bacon you are smoking in there still look a bit pale. Am I correct?
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53

Hi Snagman, that looks very delicious! I could even have that for breakfast. :)
Will save the recipe to try in the near future!
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22

Hey, hey, Gus! I just got hold of some fresh, wonderful Hungarian paprika. Guess what I'm going to make? :wink: Thanks for posting the recipe and the great lookin' photos too. This is a terrific sausage. Paprika and garlic were just made for each other.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 22:54

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Gus,
Looks good. I bet it tastes even better. This will have to wait untill winter is here as I noticed that you had the fridge part switched on in your smoker.
The bacon you are smoking in there still look a bit pale. Am I correct?
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
Jan,

Good eyes you have there ! It was a 33 C day all through the whole smoke sessions, had to run the cooler for three days. The bacon was on its first day, the sausage on last in that photo.
Regards,
Gus
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 22:56

Hi Bubba,

Glad to see you back on the forum Mate !

Gus
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 22:59

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey, hey, Gus! I just got hold of some fresh, wonderful Hungarian paprika. Guess what I'm going to make? :wink: Thanks for posting the recipe and the great lookin' photos too. This is a terrific sausage. Paprika and garlic were just made for each other.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Hey CW !

I would like to hear your opinion of it in due course,
Regards,

Gus
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Jun 12, 2013 07:05

Fantastic sausage. I have just made 2 kg of fresh sausages using this recipe. I omitted the cure. Used 10 grams of Spanish smoked sweet paprika and Hungarian paprika as well as 7g of Hot Hungarian paprika (per kg). I also used 2.5g Whole Caraway (per kg) rather than the cloves and nutmeg as snagman suggested in his Hungarian Csabaii recipe. I am not so keen on the flavour of mace in fresh sausages. I also used crusty's suggestion of chilli flakes (1 g per kg of meat). I blitzed the garlic in the cold stock.
Next week I will make a hot smoked cured version of this sausage. Obviously I will add the cure.

In the butchers yesterday there were frozen 500-600g pieces of frozen stewing veal. They had obviously been for export to France (most of the NZ veal is exported), but the deal had not gone through. I bought about 2kg of it. I am not sure what I will do with it. There were also some 1kg roasts. I bought 2 of these and will roast or grill them.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 07:40

Hi Mark,
You are on the right track. I see you even used the Hungarian Paprika powder you bought at Adams.
Just post some photo's if you have time. Just as a comparison with what I make.
The recipe is pot on but like you, I always tweek it a bit to suit my taste.
Regards,
Jan.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:53

Great looking recipe. I like that.

I have to ask a silly question.... I can't see the word Pork in the recipe. I am assuming it is pork, am I correct?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 14, 2013 02:36

Divey wrote:Great looking recipe. I like that.

I have to ask a silly question.... I can't see the word Pork in the recipe. I am assuming it is pork, am I correct?
That would be a safe guess. You could go out on a limb and assume mutton or Roo but pork is a better guess.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Fri Jun 14, 2013 02:48

ssorllih wrote:
Divey wrote:Great looking recipe. I like that.

That would be a safe guess. You could go out on a limb and assume mutton or Roo but pork is a better guess.
Can you guys buy Roo over in the USA :?:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 14, 2013 03:22

Probably. We can get almost anything if we are willing to pay the price.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 14, 2013 03:24

Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 07:48

Gus ol` mate, you`ve got a real winner here. I went back over your instructions and would like to reiterate some important points you made. You said:
The full flavour of Hungarian paprika is released by heating it in fat, not oil, not water. So first render some fat from your back fat, or use commercial lard. Around three tablespoons would be enough for the recipe quantity. Slow simmer, stirring, being careful not to burn it, until you smell the developing flavour. Stop it cooking further by adding the cold veal stock. This cooled liquid is then added to the rest of the spices mix.
You also wrote:
Hey CW ! I would like to hear your opinion of it in due course,
Regards, Gus
If I may add my 2 cents worth here, I`d say use only, and I mean ONLY... Hungarian paprika for this sausage. Don`t even think about the other type. In fact take the Spanish paprika to the basement and wall it up or bury it in your back yard!

I have only one question. There is no black pepper in the recipe. Is this an oversight or is it just not part of the formula? Either way, this is a knockout recipe and I`ll make it often. Thanks for sharing pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D