[CAN] Canada Goose Sausage

redzed

[CAN] Canada Goose Sausage

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 18, 2013 06:45

I scored approximately 30kg of Canada Goose breasts and have started to transform them into something edible. This is the first product, 10kg of a strongly flavoured and aromatic sausage made from 50% breast meat and 50% fatty pork shoulder meat. There was a lot of work with in preparing the goose meat. First, I soaked them overnight in cold salt water and rinsed them well the next day, washing away blood, dirt and feathers. I removed all fat, as much of the silver skin as I could, and of course all the bloody parts. I also had to inspect every little hole and cut the meat into small pieces to eliminate any chance of buckshot getting into the sausage. The end result is quite satisfactory, the sausage is quite tasty and will go well with a beer or a robust red wine. The recipe I concocted will definitely be repeated, and probably in not too distant future. Most of this batch will be flown to Saskatchewan, the place where the Canadas fell from the sky. Who said "dead geese don't fly"?

Canada Goose Sausage

5kg Canada Goose breasts
5kg fatty pork shoulder meat
125g salt (reduced the amount of salt to compensate for salt when brining goose meat)
4tsp cure #1
3tbs ground fennel
3tsp garlic powder
20 ground juniper berries
3tsp coriander
45 grams black pepper
4tbs hot chili powder
3tsp black mustard seeds
60 grams of salami conditioner (corn syrup solids, dextrose, sodium erythorbate)
200ml red wine
200ml water

Goose ground through a 10mm plate, pork through a 10mm and again through a 6mm plate. All ingredients mixed well with meat, stuffed into 35+ hog casings and hung in 5°C overnight and smoked for approximately 3 hours with cherry and apple.

Goose
Last edited by redzed on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 07:29

Wow Redzed, what a knockout sausage! All the ingredients are right on and it even LOOKs good! I can just imagine the taste. I would imagine that 50% lean fowl is about the limit in a sausage. How is the texture? Beautiful sausage Chris.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04

All that prep work for the Goose meat turned into a very good looking sausage! I bet it tastes as good!
Ron
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Feb 18, 2013 13:13

Boy howdy Red, that sausage looks fantastic! I like the recipe so much I've copied and pasted it into my sausage recipe folder on the computer. Great piece of work! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Feb 18, 2013 17:33

That is a fine looking product. Makes one feel just a little sassy when it all comes together nicely!
V465
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 20:24

Chris,
What a great looking sausage. I've done the same a Ray, copy and pasted it to my sausage folder.
I like the spice mix, goosemeat will be substituted by veal probably when it comes on special.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 18, 2013 21:08

Goose meat is never available in such quantities around here but occassionally we goat meat. Would goat be a reasonable substitute for goose it this recipe?
Ross- tightwad home cook
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Re: [CAN] Canada Goose Sausage

Post by sausage-john » Tue Feb 19, 2013 00:46

redzed wrote:I scored approximately 30kg of Canada Goose breasts and have started to transform them into something edible. This is the first product, 10kg of a strongly flavoured and aromatic sausage made from 50% breast meat and 50% fatty pork shoulder meat. There was a lot of work with in preparing the goose meat. First, I soaked them overnight in cold salt water and rinsed them well the next day, washing away blood, dirt and feathers. I removed all fat, as much of the silver skin as I could, and of course all the bloody parts. I also had to inspect every little hole and cut the meat into small pieces to eliminate any chance of buckshot getting into the sausage. The end result is quite satisfactory, the sausage is quite tasty and will go well with a beer or a robust red wine. The recipe I concocted will definitely be repeated, and probably in not too distant future. Most of this batch will be flown to Saskatchewan, the place where the Canadas fell from the sky. Who said "dead geese don't fly"

Canada Goose Sausage

5kg Canada Goose breasts
5kg fatty pork shoulder meat
125g salt (reduced the amount of salt to compensate for salt when brining goose meat)
4tsp cure #1
3tbs ground fennel
3tsp garlic powder
20 ground juniper berries
3tsp coriander
45 grams black pepper
4tbs hot chili powder
3tsp black mustard seeds
60 grams of salami conditioner (corn syrup solids, dextrose, sodium erythorbate)
200ml red wine
200ml water

Goose ground through a 10mm plate, pork through a 10mm and again through a 6mm plate. All ingredients mixed well with meat, stuffed into 35+ hog casings and hung in 5°C overnight and smoked for approximately 3 hours with cherry and apple.

Goose
Great looking sausages redzed,
have to get myself set-up for goose hunting next fall.
Cheers John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 01:41

Canada must have much different daily bag and possession limits that the US for migratory birds.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 19, 2013 02:44

Chuckwagon wrote:Wow Redzed, what a knockout sausage! All the ingredients are right on and it even LOOKs good! I can just imagine the taste. I would imagine that 50% lean fowl is about the limit in a sausage. How is the texture? Beautiful sausage Chris.
Hi CW, the texture is just right, and it tastes better today after hanging in a cool place overnight. I was extra careful not to take it too much over 150. So I smoked it at 130-150 and then finished it off by poaching. The one cup of wine did not seem to make affect the binding although I mixed it a bit longer.
crustyo44 wrote:Chris,
What a great looking sausage. I've done the same a Ray, copy and pasted it to my sausage folder.
I like the spice mix, goosemeat will be substituted by veal probably when it comes on special.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Jan.
Thanks Jan. I'm not sure this recipe is meant for veal which has a mild and more delicate flavour. My goal here was to tone down, as much as possible, the gamey flavour of the goose meat. Canada geese are not as strong as snow geese, but nevertheless, they have a very distinct and even muddy flavour. The meat tastes completely different than that from domestic geese. The combination of fennel, juniper berries, chili and salami conditioner worked well in masking this flavour. So if using veal, I would cut back on the fennel and juniper, and eliminate the chili and salami conditioner entirely.
ssorllih wrote:Goose meat is never available in such quantities around here but occassionally we goat meat. Would goat be a reasonable substitute for goose it this recipe?
Ross I have no idea since I have never made anything with goat meat. But, if you find the taste of goat meat too strong, or off in any way, it may work in neutralizing the flavour.
ssorllih wrote:Canada must have much different daily bag and possession limits that the US for migratory birds.
Each province has it's own regulations and bag limits. In Saskatchewan where these birds came from, the daily limit for Canadas is 8 and for snow geese it's 20. I have a brother in law and two nephews who are avid hunters but are not that crazy about the taste of wild geese. It is legal for hunters to give away their game, so I'm the lucky beneficiary.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 03:11

Thanks for your answers Red.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 08:54

Ross,
Goat meatr is very mild tasting, not gamey at all. I've shot plenty of WILD goats and this meat is a bit like young lamb with no fat at all.
I might try some Roo backleg than as a substitute.

Chris, thank you for that info.
Cheers,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 13:50

Thanks Jan.
Ross- tightwad home cook
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:45

Redzed, this looks fantastic, i have 20 lbs of wild turkey inthe freezer, i think I will try it with that, might have to add a little fat, since the turkeys are wild and very lean,Tim
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:12

Very professional looking sausage. Very nice work!