[CAN] Canada Goose Sausage

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 04:55

Red,

Very nice looking sausage Red, if I could get the raw materials, I'd have a try ! How do you score 30kg of duck breast ?

Gus
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 06:56

snagman wrote:Red,

Very nice looking sausage Red, if I could get the raw materials, I'd have a try ! How do you score 30kg of duck breast ?

Gus
Hi Gus, I got the goose breasts from my brother in law and nephews who like to hunt but not eat the stuff. And I also did get several kg of duck breasts that I will have to do something with.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 22:02

Again this year I got a whole pile of goose breasts. Not crazy about the stuff since it does have a swampy smell and taste. But it's still nice lean meat and I don't like to waste, so yesterday I made a spicy sausage using 30% goose and 70% pork. Turned out quite tasty, no gamey flavour at all. The reddish spots in there are red pepper flakes. The only thing that I erred in was that I added too much wine (instead of water) and that affected the texture somewhat. I'm getting to know and understand my Pro100 Cabela's smoker, so that part went smoothly.

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 00:02

Red those look real good. I've had trouble too with wine and texture. In fact, it's easier for me to get the right texture with dry cured stuff and lunch meats than with basic sausage. Maybe the ingredient that covers a host of sins is fat. How much did you use?

Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 03:06

Nicely done Red! It looks amazing. You may wish to try "spraying" the wine into the meat mixture as you mix it to develop the proteins. Use a spritzer and don't go overboard on the wine and it should work for you. There's all sorts of scientific reasons for the proteins breaking down. Suffice it to say here, too much alcohol will keep the meat from binding.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 26, 2014 06:37

Thanks Jeff and CW. Not sure what the fat percentage is but probably no more than 25%. It was a matter of overkill with the wine. It was my home made plonk (I'm always generous with it) and I added a cup if not more, to a 5kg batch. The intent was to tone down the gamey flavour, and that's why the paprika, chilies, juniper berries and buttermilk powder. All of these ingredients are used in various recipes to tame that swampy taste of those honkers.

Topic Split 022814 @12:57 by CW. See this link for discussion on the use of wine and alcohol in sausage: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=24967#24967
Last edited by redzed on Fri Feb 28, 2014 21:12, edited 1 time in total.