Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 20:27

Glen,
Forget about the meat mixer as a beginner, just upgrade to a quality electric mincer and an all stainless upright stuffer. Mixing the mince by hand as beginner gives you more experience as to the correct consistency of what is needed to make a successful sausage.
Meat mixers are great but a real pain to clean up unless you make big quantities od sausages.
Welcome to the forum.
Jan.
GrillinGlen
Beginner
Beginner

Post by GrillinGlen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 20:53

That makes sense, thanks for the tip and for the warm welcome
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 22:59

GrillenGlen,
Welcome to the forum :smile: And remember its more fun to play with your meat by hand then let a mixer do it for you :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
john
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 08:03

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. Boy, is it interesting? I just can't put it down. :shock:
Well pards, we`ve got another great Texan with us today. Welcome aboard txpops in College Station. Wow, right in the heart of the Brazos Valley pops! For those who don`t know, this is the main campus of Texas A&M! Nice to have you with us txpops. Make yourself right at home and pour yourself a cup of red hot green river mud.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 19, 2013 13:48

An Aggie walked into a fish and bait shop and the sign said, "all the live bait you want $1". He thought about for a bit and said,"Give me $2 worth."
Ross- tightwad home cook
txpops

Post by txpops » Wed Feb 20, 2013 15:35

Hi all and thanks for the warm welcome. I am relatively new to the world of sausage making but I am trying to learn all I can. This looks like a really great site and I have learned a lot already.

Gig em
Mike
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 07:50

It`s time for "Inquiring Minds Really, Really, Want To Know"! El Duck was inquiring about Arubuckes coffee and it "set me ta thinkin`". Many folks have no idea which coffee actually had the title of, "The coffee that won the west"! Allow me to explain.
The two major types of commercial coffee beans are arabica and robusta. The majority of grocery store coffee blends are coffea canephora - robusta as we know it. Vietnam, Brazil, and Indonesia grow large quantities of robusta at low altitudes on massive coffee plantations mainly because the beans are much cheaper and the plant matures more quickly than arabica. Robusta contains twice the caffeine of arabica, but produces a less flavorful brew. Arabica beans or coffea Arabica, are grown on shaded mountainsides and thrive in Costa Rica, Colombia, Brazil, Kenya, and other nations. Real "coffee connoisseurs" as was my ol` sourdough uncle, tend to favor the less bitter flavor of the coffea Arabica beans. The "beans" of both arabica and robusta are actually the seeds of the coffee fruit, or "cherry" and the level of roasting determines the characteristic flavors of each. The longer the beans are roasted, the more oil is extracted from them, leaving less acid and caffeine remaining.
Until about 1860, most coffees were shipped to the United States from South America in green bean form. Western customers usually roasted their own coffee beans in black iron skillets over campfires, and then ground the beans as they were needed to brew up something cowboys called "brown gargle strong `nuff to float a Colt"! Then in 1868, Charles Arbuckle patented a method of "flavor sealing" coffee beans with a glaze of egg-white and sugar, and by the 1880's, Arbuckle's Coffee Company had eighty-five roasting ovens and his "Ariosa" brand coffee, with its smoky, robust flavor, became the favorite of cowboys, soldiers, miners, settlers and every outlaw in the entire west. And these folks made their coffee stout! Camp cooks had a saying: "There's no such thing as coffee too strong... only weak people".

Welcome to WD "Determined" in Sasketchewan, and "cmustang" in Alberta, and "Doubleag91 in Texas! It`s nice to have you fellas with us. Pull up some campfire and kick off yer` boots.... Uhh... downwind please! "Man at the pot"... pour these boys a cup `o gargle strong enough to float a Colt!". Later on we`ll fill yer` plate with barbecued brisket and smokey beans with `taters. So grab yer` "reloadin outfit" (knives and forks) and "set a spell".

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

squeek!

Post by el Ducko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 16:42

Now ya know why they moved to ceramic cups. The stuff is strong enough to eat right through the enamel and rot out a metallic cup. Yeow! That's good! (Cough, cough.) ...also may help explain why the rocks of the west are so colorful.

Ever wonder why Mexican coffee often is served with cinnamon in it? (Of course you have.) Here's a blurb from http://greatist.com/health/cinnamon-in-coffee/#
"One study found just half a teaspoon of cinnamon per day can significantly reduce blood sugar levels, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol levels in people with type 2 diabetes. But for those who don`t have to worry so seriously about insulin levels, cinnamon has also been shown to have many other benefits:
● Cinnamon can slow the speed at which the stomach empties following a meal, which can help control sharp rises and falls in blood sugar levels. Softening these sugar spikes can theoretically reduce cravings.
● Cinnamon can enhance the way antioxidants from other foods help the body defend itself, strengthening the immune system.
● Additional suggested health benefits include relieving congestion, reducing stiffness in muscles and joints, counteracting inflammation, supporting digestive health, and even boosting brain function. This super spice has also been shown to stimulate good circulation with its blood-thinning properties.

Want another reason to sprinkle some cinnamon in coffee? That other coffee sweetener- sugar- has been linked to weight gain, diabetes, and may even be "toxic". Just another reason for cinnamon and coffee to band together!

Still, there are some reasons to be wary. Many of the studies on the subject were conducted on mice, not humans, so it`s unclear how well their benefits carry over. And while it might be nice to try something new in that morning cup of coffee, a teaspoon of cinnamon doesn`t exactly taste the same as cream and sugar. Some may like it more and others less, but [the writer enjoyed] mixing it up a bit. With no sugar and a pinch of spice, [his/her] cup of coffee was still everything nice.
So... are you a man, or a mouse? (If you use cream and sugar in your coffee, your manhood might be questioned.) ...but as my ol' bud, Speedy Gonzales, might say... "Arriba! Andele! YeeHa!" He's obviously tripping on caffeine. ...with cinnamon.

...and now ya know.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 07:38

Who`s that curly wolf shootin` up the camp and stringin` whizzers? :roll: Step down off that folded-up broomtail cowboy and mosey on over to the campfire. We`re a fixin` ta have us some whistleberries, so grab a plate and pull up some shade! Welcome to Wedliny Domowe "SmiterQ" in Austin, Texas. Relax pal, you are among friends! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53

Okay wranglers! It`s time for "Enquiring Minds Want To Know"! If you answer all 5 questions correctly, you could win a new Corvette! (Not here... but somewhere). The answers are below.

1. What separates "60 Minutes," on CBS, from every other TV show?
2. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?
3. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name?
4. More women do this in the bathroom than men.
5. What do 100% of all lottery winners do?

Welcome to the WD Brand outfit!
Three new members bringin` up the herd. Welcome boys, we`re mighty glad to see ya`all! First up, riding point, is tobertuzzi from British Columbia, followed by the flank-rider, Walleye1 from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. And bringing up the rear, ridin` drag is Goat Roast from North Georgia. We`ve got pan-fried liver with onions tonight fellas, along with baked beans, taters, and green salad. Of course, as always, you can have all the sourdough biscuits you can stuff down. Again, welcome aboard. Oh yes, let`s not forget the answers to the questions. Here they are: 1. No theme-song or music 2. Their birthplace. (This is propinquity.) 3. Obsession 4. Wash their hands. Women ~ 80% Men ~ 55% 5. Gain weight.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 20:24

Thanks for the welcome Chuckwagon!

I have this irresistible urge to call you Chucky! :mrgreen: But I won't. :roll: :mrgreen:

Man did I flop on the 5 questions...
1 - I had no clue on this one...
2 - I was thinking liquor store...
3 - I thought they were all females... I know mine is. :wink:
4 - Well... Na... I better not!
5 - I thought... spend money! :mrgreen:

I've been sittin' back in the weeds for a couple of years now and thought it was due time I joined in. I've been planning my attack on dry curring for at least a couple of years now but I've been smokin' and making sausage for sometime. It certainly is great site with a wealth of information and hopefully I can contribute in some way.

Mike
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:10

Walleye wrote:
I have this irresistible urge to call you Chucky!
Go ahead, Walleye. Everyone else does. Shucks, I've been called a lot of things actually. You ought to hear what El DuckO calls me! :roll:

Best Wishes,
RockChuck WigglyWagonTrack (Chucky :mrgreen: )
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:37

I used to call him "lunch cart". :lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Goat Roast

Post by Goat Roast » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:53

Thanks for the welcome message, Chuckwagon. I've looked at this site off and on for awhile. I'm looking forward to being a more active participant.

I've been working my way up the sausage and cured meat chain for a couple of years, starting with easy stuff like corned beef and hot-smoked sausage. Last year I made my first fermented sausage, fennel salami, which wound up tasting way better than it had any right to given my equipment malfunctions, and it didn't kill anybody, which is always a plus.

I've upgraded my equipment some, and I'm planning to start a new batch in the next couple of weeks. I figured I would join up so I would have access to all the great sausage minds in the world if I run into difficulties and need advice.
Every living thing that moveth shall be meat to you--Genesis
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 23:24

Yeee Hawww! Look at all the desperados riding into the WD camp! Shucks, it seems that I`ve seen a couple of these guys on wanted posters somewhere. Anyhow, corral those broomtails and hang your rigs in the tac room. Curry your mounts and give them an extrie mouthful of oats. Mosey on up to the campfire and pull up some shade. Welcome to WD boys! This is a great place to make new friends and hang out with the best sausagemakers around the planet. Sit a spell and enjoy a cup of Green River mud - strong enough to float cast iron! We`re servin` up kielbasa later on and El Quacko will grill them perfectly and ssorllih will slap `em on his buns for ya. We`ll use Devo`s mustard to decorate `em and "swaller" them down with some of Crusty`s home brew! Now how are you going to beat that!

Just look at this crew! There`s Lumpy from Ontario, hoepicg from England, Kenneth Miller from Boonsboro, Maryland, quietwatersfarm in North Devon, and NimbinPaul in Nimbin, South Wales.

Welcome to Wedliny Domowe friends! You`re going to like this place.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon