Beef Jerky: 10 pound of beef; two types of jerky

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Beef Jerky: 10 pound of beef; two types of jerky

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 04:40

I picked up ten pounds of lean top round recently. After chilling them well to near frozen, I sliced the lot into approximately 1/8-1/4" wide strips-depending on how distracted I was during the slicing.
I decided to make two flavors-a basic black pepper jerky (my son's favorite), and teriyaki.
Here are the recipes I followed. You can use regular soy sauce. We're a gluten-free household so the GF soy sauce ($$) is what I used.

Basic Black Pepper Jerky Marinade
for 5lbs meat

8 oz Gluten-free Soy Sauce
2 oz Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbl Fresh coarse-ground black pepper (Tellicherry preferred)
1 Tbl Garlic powder (or 3 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped)
1 tsp Cayenne (optional)
1 tsp (lvl) Cure#1
1 tsp Liquid Smoke (I didn't use this as I plan on smoking the beef)

Teriyaki Jerky Marinade
for 5lbs meat

10 oz Gluten-free Soy sauce
4 oz Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbl chopped garlic
2 tsp fresh black pepper
8 oz Dark Brown sugar
2 tsp fresh chopped Ginger
3 finely-chopped Scallions (white & green parts)
2 tsp -1 Tbl Sesame oil (potent, so use to taste)
1 tsp (lvl) Cure#1

I mixed in the meat in two bowls with the ingredients, and bagged them in zip-loc freezer bags. Squeezed out the excess air and these will both reside in my fridge for the next two days. Then it's off to the smoker with them on Monday.

After almost two days of marinade, time to hang the meats pieces for the smoker. Using the tried & true wooden toothpick method, I managed to get all 10 pound onto a single rack. This was my preference (vs multi-rack) in order to get a consistent temp for the duration.

Hanging for the first hour or so with no smoke @ 150°F to dry off the excess moisture before applying smoke.

Using a maple/hickory blend of dust, I applied light smoke for the next 3-4 hours.
Here's a shot about 2 hours into the smoke application...

After nearly 5 hours @ 150-160°F I did a test-pull and the jerky looked & felt just about right. I stuck a temp probe into one of the thicker slices & it hit an IT of 152°F. Time to pull!

Good color & texture. Tens pounds of beef yielded just a bit over 5 pounds of jerky.
Here's samples side by side...

The teriyaki jerky has a touch of garlicky sweetness (almost a tang) & just the right amount of saltiness...

The black pepper jerky has a great 'basic' jerky flavor, with a bit of heat provided by the coarse-ground peppercorns...

Most importantly, all the boys seem to like both types, so I'm a happy jerky-maker! :mrgreen:

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Mar 26, 2013 15:47

Kevin,

That's some of the nicest jerky I've ever seen, but then again, all your sausage always looks amazing. Great job!
Rudy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 16:15

Nicely done ol' friend! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 26, 2013 16:26

Nice stuff Kevin. I love jerky and yours would be a treat. The problem I have with jerky is that I can't stop eating it!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 00:16

Hi Kevin,
I am with Red. Jerky like yours and I have instantly no control over my eating habits.
Cheers,
Jan.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 00:30

redzed wrote:Nice stuff Kevin. I love jerky and yours would be a treat. The problem I have with jerky is that I can't stop eating it!
Amen to that! Love jerky and tend to eat it until my jaw muscles tell me I have to stop!

I may borrow the recipes and try it soon. We love jerky here as well.

Charlie