DIY cold smoke generator.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 03:28

Hi Rich,
Your design is ingenious! Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Apr 17, 2013 16:20

The white-on-red flag is one that I haven't seen before. I assume that it honors the place where your family came from. Can you tell us more? What does the interesting symbol mean? (...fascinating.)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard Rowny » Wed Apr 17, 2013 22:17

Thanks for asking. I'm not sure the answer will be allowed here by the moderator but here goes nothing. :roll:

The symbol is called a "herbaz" in Polish and the figure itself is "Odrowaz"; meaning "other side of the Oder"; the Oder being a river that ran between the border land of Bohemia and that of Poland, called "Little Poland".

It is a Norse "rune", symbolizing a horse-warrior.

In 1410 a warrior band came north into Lithuania to join the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in defeating :razz: the Germanic Teutonic knights :twisted: during the Battle of Grunwald.

This was the bands heraldic symbol. Land grants were given in what is now Belarus by Lithuania to those knights. My family still remains there to this day. The herbaz is shared by a dozen Polish families.

My family's personal recipe for kielbasa is like no other. It is Polish with a Lithuanian spice influence. We have always done it this way. Who knows :?: It could be 600 years old. :cool:

As an infant almost 75 years ago, my tiny hand was thrust into the pile of meat on the kitchen table, that was waiting to be stuffed for Christmas. I have had my hand in kielbasa making, every year since then. :mrgreen: This kielbasa is only done for Easter and Christmas.
Dzukija, Vilnius & Podsadzie, Lebedziewo