Salt, Time or quantity?

ped
User
User

Salt, Time or quantity?

Post by ped » Fri Apr 26, 2013 19:28

Hi all

I'm finding that most of my projects end up too salty (for me), this may be that my palate is too sensitive to salt, but given the choice if I want to reduce the salt flavour should I reduce the salt level or reduce the curing time with the salt?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Salt, Time or quantity?

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 26, 2013 19:39

ped wrote:Hi all

I'm finding that most of my projects end up too salty (for me), this may be that my palate is too sensitive to salt, but given the choice if I want to reduce the salt flavour should I reduce the salt level or reduce the curing time with the salt?
If you brine then it is a time in brine/brine strength equation. But you also have the problem of brine migration within the meat. It simply takes time for the salt/cure to migrate within the muscle. The meat may absorb enough total salt from a 90° brine in the first day or two but it will take several days for that salt to reach the center and come to equilibrium. In answer to your question I would reduce the brine strength and increase the time. I haven't read it anywhere but perhaps you could start with a brine of known strength and after a few days check the strength of the brine and gain a measure of the salt that has been absorbed by the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Fri Apr 26, 2013 19:45

Just Dry curing, no Brining.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 26, 2013 21:00

I limit my dry cures to 2% salt by weight. and about one week per inch of thickness.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 21:14

If you're making dry-cured sausages there's a critical safety consideration.

From Stan.....

On page 359 of "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages", he writes:

"When making fermented sausages use between 2.5 - 3.5% salt as this combined with nitrite, is your first line of defense against undesirable bacteria. Almost all regular sausage recipes (fresh, smoked, cooked etc.) contain 1.5 - 2% salt which is added to obtain a good flavor. These amounts are not high enough to provide safety against bacteria and there is no room for compromise. When adding salt to fermented sausages, try to think of salt as a barrier against undesirable bacteria. Use 3.0 - 3.5% salt when making traditionally fermented dry sausages without starter cultures. For all other types use 2.5% common non-iodized salt. Starter cultures assure proper fermentation but to inhibit undesirable bacteria in the beginning of the process, the salt level should remain high (2.5 - 3%)."

"At least 2.5 % salt (25 g salt/1 kg of meat) should be added which will help to lower water activity and inhibit the growth of bacteria."

Source: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... raditional
Godspeed!

Bob
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 21:17

Hi Ped,
After trying a lot of brining and dry curing recipes, I now only stick to Big Guy's wet cure. It suits me the best as I don't like a lot of salt.
Big Guy's recipe is on the forum. Try it. you like it !!!!! or just keep on experimenting until you hit the jackpot that is for you.
Good Luck,
Jan.
Sandeel

Post by Sandeel » Sat Nov 30, 2013 05:45

but perhaps you could start with a brine of known strength and after a few days check the strength of the brine and gain a measure of the salt that has been absorbed by the meat.

Re: POst

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 01, 2013 03:10

Sandeel wrote:but perhaps you could start with a brine of known strength and after a few days check the strength of the brine and gain a measure of the salt that has been absorbed by the meat.
We/I have tried this and it is rather tricky because you need to be able to limit the volume of the brine in order to get a definitive change in brine strength. Generally it seems to be empirical starting with as many controllable knowns as possible and proceeding cautiously from there.
Ross- tightwad home cook